Primary Fuel Filter Lifespan?

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
While sitting in my easy chair, my mind started wandering about the little things that need attention on my now winterized Cat30. One of these is the Racor primary fuel filter. I am wondering if the spare cartridge that has been sitting in my backup spare parts locker is still good to use after about 10 years?
Having to purchase a new one is no big deal, but I would hate to discard something that is still good.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
The rubber gaskets may have dried up and may leak. I keep a spare one but rotate them so that I always have a new one for spare. I replace each season, but it can be replaced after 2 seasons.

• Helpful
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Hi all,
While sitting in my easy chair, my mind started wandering about the little things that need attention on my now winterized Cat30. One of these is the Racor primary fuel filter. I am wondering if the spare cartridge that has been sitting in my backup spare parts locker is still good to use after about 10 years?
Having to purchase a new one is no big deal, but I would hate to discard something that is still good.
I previously came across this on another boat forum:

"just got this back from Racor Technical Service.
"There is no maximum shelf life as long as the filter is still in the original packaging. Filters out of their packaging should be used as soon as possible."
Racor Products Technical Service"

I used to replaced my Racor primary filter annually. I then installed a Racor Vacuum gauge and see no difference in the reading year over year. I am now up to year 4 on this particular filter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I ran a Racor 24, 2 micron, for 900 hours without any issues and no vacuum gauge either. Yearly filter changes are unnecessary, mainly because the filters are rated for much more fuel volume than any of our recreational sailboat engines ever use, so they rarely clog unless there's serious gunk in the tank. With the Racor 24 series housing, it is wise to be aware of this issue. Also Parker filters recommends check valves on filter systems without check valves in the housings - most of the other filter housings don't have them built-in. The reason is to avoid having the filter drain to empty when the engine and/or lift pump stops. I've always kept my filters in the original clear packaging - who wouldn't? :)

Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Ball Check Valve

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I had read that the filter material breaks down over time. Don't recall any specifics, but I do remember the suggestion was that the filter ought to be changed at some point even if it's not dirty.

I have no idea whether this is true or some kind of urban myth. I just throw it out in case someone may have more information on it they can share--including, perhaps, to debunk it.

Feb 26, 2004
from Racor Technical Service.
"There is no maximum shelf life as long as the filter is still in the original packaging. Filters out of their packaging should be used as soon as possible."
Racor Products Technical Service"
I have no idea whether this is true or some kind of urban myth. I just throw it out in case someone may have more information on it they can share--including, perhaps, to debunk it.
Alan, I believe the first quote answers your question.

Nov 22, 2011
Alan, I believe the first quote answers your question.
Actually, it doesn't answer it at all.

I'm not talking about a filter that has been sitting unused on the shelf. I'm talking about a filter that has been continuously *in service* and subject to the constant exposure of diesel flowing through it. At least that's what the information I read was talking about. But again, whether any of that is true is another question.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I had read that the filter material breaks down over time. Don't recall any specifics, but I do remember the suggestion was that the filter ought to be changed at some point even if it's not dirty.

I would think that the time frame would be very long and that likely it's mostly urban myth. But I doubt there are solid numbers for long term use.

The filter material chosen would not be one to degrade in use. That being said, I wouldn't be leaving a filter in for many years just as a point of maintenance.

dj

Feb 26, 2004
Actually, it doesn't answer it at all.

I'm not talking about a filter that has been sitting unused on the shelf. I'm talking about a filter that has been continuously *in service*
Alan, sorry, I went back and read your post, and I was wrong. I had to get to your second sentence to see you meant "in use."
I still think it is an urban myth. Why? Because like many products it works when it is in use AND especially when there is no published data that says it has an expected life in use, or mean time between or until failure. I was an HVAC engineer for 55 years and have never seen that mentioned in ANY general filter medium (save perhaps HEPA filters) and NYSail is right: until it's dirty or as Ralph said until the pressure dial says it's backing up. The filter material keeps doing its job until it gets "filled up," with the very material it was designed to stop, not from any specific time period.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
reality check -
while there is no consensus on filter lifespan, it is what it is - a cheap device to save your injectors from clogging when your ass might depend on max power to avoid a disaster.

Does it make sense to anyone to not change it routinely or rely on an old possible degraded one? How much do your filters cost?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I seem to remember the same. Made me think of RichH and did a search. Yan 2GM20F Secondary Filter
He was an incredible asset to this forum and hasn’t been around in a long time but his knowledge is still here for us to draw on.

Nov 22, 2011
I seem to remember the same. Made me think of RichH and did a search. Yan 2GM20F Secondary Filter
He was an incredible asset to this forum and hasn’t been around in a long time but his knowledge is still here for us to draw on.
Bingo! That’s exactly the post I had in mind but could not recall all the specifics. Thanks for dredging it up.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Interesting post! Doesn't really clarify a time frame, just suggests a year. And that is based on water degradation of imperfect filter manufacturing. It would be interesting to know if that is a dated comment or if the current manufacturing process is the same.

In any case, have to agree with all the comments of just change your filters. They are cheap insurance.

dj

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Sorry, but I always get a little skeptical when I see specific statements like those of RichH's but no reference to any sources. just my opinion, but I choose to pass on that info as being little more than filter companies pushing you to buy more product.