Pricing new Dodger & Bimini

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Won’t mention names but a sail loft here is infamous for quoting an hourly rate lower than the competition but ‘pads’ the total hours to compensate. Price doesn’t always equate to value.
I picked the sail this morning, and all was well. No hassle over the corrected price.

Greg

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
Thanks for the tips, Terry. I'm going to start a separate thread and see if I can garner some more.

Had to choke a bit on that number. It has been a few years when I had ours replaced. Framing was in good condition, so all that was done was new canvas, but in our case I paid $1,400 for a new dodger, bimini and main sail cover, all in Sunbrella fabric. Might pay to check around a bit more. Lita's Top Shop in Arlington did ours.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Fit and finish is a significant portion of the labor costs. Once it’s fitting right, the actual sewing if fairly easy.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The person doing the fit & finish at the boat at least, for me, has been the proprietor of the business. Is he "labor?"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the proprietor of the business. Is he "labor?"
Perhaps. Most certainly if he is a business of "one". The Gig business generation finds many who will pick up a moonlight gig to expand their financial resources or just a paying hobby.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Perhaps. Most certainly if he is a business of "one". The Gig business generation finds many who will pick up a moonlight gig to expand their financial resources or just a paying hobby.
That person should perhaps quote by the job, not itemize, etc., IMO. People see those labor rates and, as we see, don’t really respond well to them Da, da, da plus tax.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The person doing the fit & finish at the boat at least, for me, has been the proprietor of the business. Is he "labor?"
Hell yea that’s labor. Why wouldn’t a employee, owner or not be compensated for they time and skills?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A mechanic finished up repairing a car and his apprentice is writing up the invoice...
Apprentice says: "Boss, the total of the invoice comes up to $876".
The boss responds: "Round it up to an even thousand."

Few seconds later, the boss pipes up again: "Actually, put it at $1126, so it doesn't look rounded."

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hell yea that’s labor. Why wouldn’t a employee, owner or not be compensated for they time and skills?
“Labor” as in laborers. As in “Management versus Labor.” Management receives a salary, whereas the hands-on workers are paid by the hour, itemized as “labor.” The salary is derived from retail mark-ups of materials, and no doubt a “cut” of the labor rate charged to customers. A skilled employee doing the work does not actually get $110/hr. More like $20-$25/hr, if even that. The proprietor or owner is not “labor”, not an employee; the people who work for him are. It’s a rhetorical question.:)

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The proprietor or owner is not “labor”
Not to be picking at threads... but I am. Is it not labor to do work?
Grabbing the first of several definitions:
"expenditure of physical or mental effort especially when difficult or compulsory"​
A business owner who is both management and the preformer of the physical or mental effort to accomplish the task for remuneration gets paid for his/her labors. Think "Sole Proprietor" with no employees. In most cases there is not a "Salary". If successful there is money coming in for sales, and money going out for expenses and if successful there are funds left over for payment. Call it the profits from his/her labor. It is the compensation for the risk, time and skill exercised.

Notably the IRS agrees and charges a Social Security Tax on these funds.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Prices seem reasonable for good work and very much depend on the clear vinyl selected (prices differ greatly based on quality - take a look a sailrite to see the variance). My wife I just started a canvas business and the hours add up quickly - not including making a frame - you are looking at about 2 hours to pattern, 1-2 hour or so to transfer pattern to material, 1-2 hours for installation, figure 15-25+ hours depending on traditional/California dodger - hours for making or more plus overhead for business, insurance, taxes, equipment, utilities .......

You many want to consider tufftak Marine 5 for curved windows. Stuff is pricy - one sheet w/ shipping $660.

Picture is on our Passage 42(old and new - made covers for the new - docked near airport and it has played havoc with these windows as and one 30 mil cheap window to see sails didnt even last a season)

Attachments