Pricing new Dodger & Bimini

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I've been shopping for a dodger in the Puget Sound area and $6k seems to be the ballpark figure. $3600 would be great. As much as I don't want to, I may do it myself.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Different schools of thought whether to cover or not to cover. Seems to come down to if protection from UV is needed then absolutely cover: otherwise, it is a item for discussion over a beer.

Covering Strataglass
The Sailrite people also indicate that covers do more harm than good if just made from sunbrella. They suggest lining them with a softer material.

Chris

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I sent my old bimini to copycovers.com and was very pleased with the results. I made some minor changes in the placement of windows and everything came out perfect.

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Hello all,
I'm in the process of getting a new dodger & bikini for my 1988 Hunter 33.5. I received a quote between $2200-$3600 for the dodger &
$1900-$2800 for the bimini.
I already have a dodger frame and just need a new dodge. Will need a new frame for the bimini. The question is, does these quotes seem reasonable to you? I live on the east coast by the way.

Brian
A club mate with a Hunter 38 was the victim of Marina Midnight shopping during his winter layup. Dodger and Bimini. Insurance paid most of the $8k to replace...

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I sent my old bimini to copycovers.com and was very pleased with the results. I made some minor changes in the placement of windows and everything came out perfect.
What a great tip... I've added the address into my boat file.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Have a current quote for a 3 bow bimini, 80" long, including frame, for $4,500.00. Cost is mostly labor at $110 per hour.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I know that it is what it is, but why don't us boaters have a problem with labor rates at $110/hr? I realize that it is a skilled labor, but engineering, teaching, and various trades are also skilled and are priced at a much lower hourly rate. I don't mean to hijack this tread, it is just a related question.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I know that it is what it is, but why don't us boaters have a problem with labor rates at $110/hr? I realize that it is a skilled labor, but engineering, teaching, and various trades are also skilled and are priced at a much lower hourly rate. I don't mean to hijack this tread, it is just a related question.
I do have a problem with it. But, these guys are busy now with a backlog of work. More than usual. As with riggers and diesel mechanics (similar rates), etc. My rigger told me a couple of days ago that he was not accepting new jobs until sometime in January. That the recent up-tick in yacht sales (resales) due to Corona has the new owners wanting repairs and up-grades. Until these folks are waiting idle by the phone for a new job to come in, they can price “as needed.” Their skills require development, and the folks doing the work need a good reputation around town. Not the kind of business that is easy to start up even if there is over-demand.

They also need a shop. Rental spaces near the harbors are of, course, very high. The main rigging shop here in east LB is probably < 200 sq ft inside space. Another one in del Rey, about the same, if even. The canvass shop I use has a large warehouse downtown for materials but very little inside working space. The business office is a closet. So, thru-put is limiting.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Self-employed tradespeople who work with their own hands put in a lot of hours for which they don’t get “paid”. That $110/hr has to cover the phone, shop rent, travel time, delivery time, sales time, insurance, health insurance, unpaid vacations, etc. I’d be surprised if most net half their hourly rate after expenses and providing “free services”.

Customers want excellent customer service... and “free quotes” and “free” advice. Most customers ask at least three shops for a quote, then customer hires only one for the job. And lots of time, the customer is only kicking tires.

Professional looking, well designed canvas work requires years of practice, highly skilled craftsmanship and business management skills.

just sayin.....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I know that it is what it is, but why don't us boaters have a problem with labor rates at $110/hr?
I asked an auto service manager about that in the 80's, he said, "because the valve covers on your car say Lotus not Chevrolet";)
For what it's worth, last dodger was about $3000, good canvas guy with low overhead, unfortunately he moved to Alaska.
And covers here mandatory, year round UV like few other places, it'll toast them.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Self-employed tradespeople who work with their own hands put in a lot of hours for which they don’t get “paid”. That $110/hr has to cover the phone, shop rent, travel time, delivery time, sales time, insurance, health insurance, unpaid vacations, etc. I’d be surprised if most net half their hourly rate after expenses and providing “free services”.

Customers want excellent customer service... and “free quotes” and “free” advice. Most customers ask at least three shops for a quote, then customer hires only one for the job. And lots of time, the customer is only kicking tires.

Professional looking, well designed canvas work requires years of practice, highly skilled craftsmanship and business management skills.

just sayin.....
Dr. J is, of course, exactly right. But I will reiterate that multiple quotes are usually worth the effort, as is finding out what other customers think of the work done by that particular shop BEFORE you hire them to do an expensive job (maybe even have them do a small job first, like snap covers for non-opening ports).

I've worked with 4 canvas places in the Annapolis/Deale, MD area. One did shockingly crappy work. So bad that the "rework" wasn't worth the effort. Another has been the most expensive on estimates by a factor of 2x-4x everyone else's price for the exact same work, and two have been good, though one's hours are very inconvenient. Definitely do your homework and you'll be much more satisfied.

May 7, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Minisceongo Yacht Club New Yor
Someone caught my typo. Should have been Bimini. I did reread before posting but still missed the error. Thanks for the catch.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
That $110/hr has to cover the phone, shop rent, travel time, delivery time, sales time, insurance, health insurance, unpaid vacations, etc. I’d be surprised if most net half their hourly rate after expenses and providing “free services

just sayin.....
That $110/hr has to cover the phone, shop rent, travel time, delivery time, sales time, insurance, health insurance, unpaid vacations, both parts of fica, retirement planning, 401K or equivalent, warranties, bookkeeping and accounting, payroll costs, performing all the BS required to meet city, county, state and federal rules and requirements, vehicles, employee BS, unpaid invoices.
Over and over I hear about business owners who just chuck it in when some trigger event (lease expired/retirement age/new regulations/unemployment insurance goes up by a factor of 5 in 2 years) occurs and working 3,000+ hours a year just does not appeal any more.

just agreein........

May 7, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Minisceongo Yacht Club New Yor
Many thanks to all for your great comments. I think I have enough knowledge now to move forward. I will report back with pictures when all is done.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I've been shopping for a dodger in the Puget Sound area and $6k seems to be the ballpark figure. $3600 would be great. As much as I don't want to, I may do it myself.
Had to choke a bit on that number. It has been a few years when I had ours replaced. Framing was in good condition, so all that was done was new canvas, but in our case I paid $1,400 for a new dodger, bimini and main sail cover, all in Sunbrella fabric. Might pay to check around a bit more. Lita's Top Shop in Arlington did ours.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hard to tell what to do sometimes. I asked my sail loft for a price to repair my Genoa. They gave me a $90
labor rate. I dropped the sail off and got an email a week later that it was ready to pick Up...invoice attached, at $110 per hour. I called them on it...and sales guy who gave me the $90 rate wanted me to say “oh, OK”, otherwise he was going to have to cover the $20 per hour himself.

Going to pick the sail up tomorrow...guess we will see how that goes.

Separately, I am planning a trip and was booking a limo to the airport...regular guy I have used for several years quoted me almost $400 for a round trip. I check around a little and found 2 other limo companies who were $100 and $200 cheaper! So it does pay to shop around.

Cheers,

Greg

• Helpful
Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hard to tell what to do sometimes. I asked my sail loft for a price to repair my Genoa. They gave me a $90
labor rate. I dropped the sail off and got an email a week later that it was ready to pick Up...invoice attached, at $110 per hour. I called them on it...and sales guy who gave me the $90 rate wanted me to say “oh, OK”, otherwise he was going to have to cover the $20 per hour himself.

Going to pick the sail up tomorrow...guess we will see how that goes.

Separately, I am planning a trip and was booking a limo to the airport...regular guy I have used for several years quoted me almost $400 for a round trip. I check around a little and found 2 other limo companies who were $100 and $200 cheaper! So it does pay to shop around.

Cheers,

Greg
Won’t mention names but a sail loft here is infamous for quoting an hourly rate lower than the competition but ‘pads’ the total hours to compensate. Price doesn’t always equate to value.