Price guide - more

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susan

Thanks for the replies. We really like the 322 we have seen but the price is over $44k which is high. This boat has a lot on it.... roller furling Genoa, main w/Dutchman, Raytheon SL9 radar, Autohelm 4000 plus, Probe forward looking sonar, VHF, SSB receiver w/weather fax, new zodiac life raft, 406 Epirb, charts, grill, tons of stuff... new hot water heater, 800 hrs on original Yanmar engine... everything is in good to very good shape. However this won't be our last boat and I'm worried about resale.... bailey

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Buy the boat you need, and treat it well

bailey - While its not unreasonable to be thinking about resale as you buy a boat, I wouldn't let it disuade me from purchasing a boat I wanted. The 322 is a good boat, and it seems one that fits you well. That concluded, is that extra-equipment on the boat stuff you'd wind up buying anyway? If its not, its probably not the right boat. If it is, you are paying a seriously reduced price for it. The sad reality of owning a boat is that you are not going to get everything you put into it back. The immediate depreciation of much of the gear is staggering. Figure out how much of a premium you'd be paying for the extra equipment, and then see if the boat would still be expensive if the premium were deducted. Then look at the gear and see what it would cost you to buy it all. I bet its not such a bad deal after-all. As far as resale - you never know. An awful lot of people bought boats in the mid-eighties with the expectation that they would get a lot of the cost back at resale. A lot of them had some serious reality checks after 1987. It happens. The way the market has been performing recently, who knows. I wouldn't buy a boat you know isn't going to sell, but an O'day is a sound value. Its just that its value will always be relative its market and you that's impossible to to predict. Good luck with your decision making. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

forgot the treat it well part

oops. Obviously, the biggest thing is treating your gear well. I have seen many people who didn't maintaint stuff meticulously lose more money trying to ready their boats for market than they gained in increased purchase price by having nicer stuff. I'd rather invest my labor than my cash, but that's just me. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

RichJ

how much is it worth?

Susan, this may help. I recently made my first sailboat purchase (originally a powerboat person) I looked for over a year, visited boatyards in 3 states, spoke with countless brokers etc... Everyone I spoke with had a different opinion as to which size, brand etc... was the best for me to start with and they all had a figure ($$$) to go along with the opinion. I bought books, contacted my insurance broker and banker to attempt to come up with a price for any boat I was seriously interested in (which added to my confusion) advice from a good friend put me on the right path, he suggested I contact a Marine Surveyor (you will need one anyway for insurance and/or financing) when I saw a boat that I was interested in, I'd look at it and call the surveyor for a "BALLPARK" figure (+/- $$) we built a relationship, then when I found the right boat, he performed the survey (it was a win win for him, he helped me and got my work) as my friend put it to me, sellers, brokers etc...are trying to make a living, as well as the Marine surveyor, but the surveyor WILL have an objective view since your purchase doesn't directly effect him.You may want to give it a shot, 44K is a lot of money not to explore all your options. I hope the story helps & good luck RichJ

D

Dee

Check www.nadaguides.com

Check the NADA prices, and you will find it is right in line. But, make an offer (subject to a satisfactory survey) -- it's just like buying a house -- except when you come to the investment part. The main thing is to buy something that someone else will want to buy when you want to sell. I think the 322 is a most desirable boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.