preventing galvanic reaction between SS fasteners and aluminum hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
We're doing a total top-to-bottom paint job on our Hunter 34 and have removed a lot of aluminum hardware that was fastened with SS bolts and screws. Almost all of them had that white powder associated with galvanic reactions. When we get ready to reassemble everything what can we put on those fasteners to prevent the reaction with the aluminum? Most of the problem areas are on winches, and other aluminum that is anodized or bare and painting the items isn't very practical.

Jun 25, 2006
We're doing a total top-to-bottom paint job on our Hunter 34 and have removed a lot of aluminum hardware that was fastened with SS bolts and screws. Almost all of them had that white powder associated with galvanic reactions. When we get ready to reassemble everything what can we put on those fasteners to prevent the reaction with the aluminum? Most of the problem areas are on winches, and other aluminum that is anodized or bare and painting the items isn't very practical.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
good question

I'll be watching the posts. I have an aluminum painted spar. The P.O. attached a stainless bracket to hold the steaming light. I was going to replaced the light and noticed corrosion. I sanded the area... masked off the rest of spar... and applied a self etching aluminum primer. Then being anal retentive that I am... I cut a piece of rubber membrain to seperate to two dissimilar metals before I attached the bracket. In hindsight... I should have fabricated an aluminum bracket and used aluminum screws. That is the "French" in me... by the time I realized I have done something stupid... it is usually too late!

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
good question

I'll be watching the posts. I have an aluminum painted spar. The P.O. attached a stainless bracket to hold the steaming light. I was going to replaced the light and noticed corrosion. I sanded the area... masked off the rest of spar... and applied a self etching aluminum primer. Then being anal retentive that I am... I cut a piece of rubber membrain to seperate to two dissimilar metals before I attached the bracket. In hindsight... I should have fabricated an aluminum bracket and used aluminum screws. That is the "French" in me... by the time I realized I have done something stupid... it is usually too late!

C

Carl

Tef-Gel

Our preferred method in the yard is Tef-Gel, but there are other products that do the same job. Carl

C

Carl

Tef-Gel

Our preferred method in the yard is Tef-Gel, but there are other products that do the same job. Carl

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
choices

you really should use TefGel, Lanocote or some other anti-galvanic corrosion gel on the fasteners to help prevent the mast and fasteners from reacting to each other.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
choices

you really should use TefGel, Lanocote or some other anti-galvanic corrosion gel on the fasteners to help prevent the mast and fasteners from reacting to each other.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
How about blue locktite?

Prevents corrosion and keeps things together. Tim R.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
How about blue locktite?

Prevents corrosion and keeps things together. Tim R.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A rigger I know just applies vinyl electrical tape

to the fixture to isolate it from the aluminum. I would apply teflon paste pipe dope to the bolts to keep water infiltration to a minimum.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A rigger I know just applies vinyl electrical tape

to the fixture to isolate it from the aluminum. I would apply teflon paste pipe dope to the bolts to keep water infiltration to a minimum.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
a combination of both...

Apply a layer of plastic electrical tape on the large areas such as bracket bases. Use one of the anti galvanic/corrosion products, mentioned by carl and don, for the fasteners. You can pick that stuff up at any chandlery.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
a combination of both...

Apply a layer of plastic electrical tape on the large areas such as bracket bases. Use one of the anti galvanic/corrosion products, mentioned by carl and don, for the fasteners. You can pick that stuff up at any chandlery.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Good old fashion

Lanacote, non toxic, easy to use and proven effective over many years. Available here: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?fno=400&group=1147 Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com Toll Free 877-932-7245 ext.116, Mon-Fri, 9-5 Pacific

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Good old fashion

Lanacote, non toxic, easy to use and proven effective over many years. Available here: http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detail.htm?fno=400&group=1147 Dave Groshong Customer Service SailboatOwners.com Toll Free 877-932-7245 ext.116, Mon-Fri, 9-5 Pacific

Jun 25, 2006
Considerable difference in cost

2 oz of tef-gel for $24 or 4 oz of Lanocote for $8. Can anyone defend spending 6 times the cost of Lanocote to use the tef-gel option? I've never used either but will certainly use one of them when we start reassembly. Any testimonys on where else these products can be used other than fasteners?

Jun 25, 2006
Considerable difference in cost

2 oz of tef-gel for $24 or 4 oz of Lanocote for $8. Can anyone defend spending 6 times the cost of Lanocote to use the tef-gel option? I've never used either but will certainly use one of them when we start reassembly. Any testimonys on where else these products can be used other than fasteners?

Jun 5, 2004
- - Alameda
Pipe Thread Compound

This has worked great for me for many years. It comes in a little tube that you knead. Apply it to the threads and it sets like chewing gum. Keeps water out and prevents corrosion. I used it on all my mast fittings 11 years ago when we had it painted. The telltale sign is the paint blistering up next to the fastener. Not happening yet. I bought it at the hardware store. Anytime I had to remove a fastener, it comes right out. Allan

Jun 5, 2004
- - Alameda
Pipe Thread Compound

This has worked great for me for many years. It comes in a little tube that you knead. Apply it to the threads and it sets like chewing gum. Keeps water out and prevents corrosion. I used it on all my mast fittings 11 years ago when we had it painted. The telltale sign is the paint blistering up next to the fastener. Not happening yet. I bought it at the hardware store. Anytime I had to remove a fastener, it comes right out. Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.