"Pretty Much" Rudderless! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

capt dj

Help! Pretty Much lost her rudder yesterday while sailing. Busted off at the rudder post. Anyone know where I can find a replacement rudder? Or, does anyone have the spec so I can have one fabricated? Or, anyone with a 299 out of the water be kind enough to take a few measurements for me. Contact info: seadj@peoplepc.com or captdj@funma.com

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
You might try Foss Foam

They are located here in Florida and do a good job. Fair Winds Cap'n Dave

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I have some doubts

about Foss Foam rudders. They were used on a number of Hunter boats (and others) and have a history of delamination and other water intrusion related problems. If I were going to replace my rudder, I'd contact Ida Sailor and discuss your needs with them. Be prepared to spend around a $1,000 bucks or so plus shipping.... Good luck.

L

Len Swanson

I wrote the same post about a year and a half ago

I ended up making my own. Several of the guys out there really came through with some pics and measurements. It was a lot of work. If you decide to make it or need the dimensions I used I will be glad to email them to you. I had got a quote from Foss Foam and another place in Canada called Phils foils. They might still have the dimensions from my quotes. I will try to add a link to Phils. Good luck. Len swanldmkcr@sbcglobal.net

P

Paul

Foam core rudders

Building a foam core rudder is a fairly inexpensive way to build a one-off rudder. The only problem with them is that if it ever gets water in it it is nearly impossible to get the water out. I did hear of one method that might work, put it in a kiln at about 180 degrees for about 2 weeks. I have an old S-25 foam core rudder in a closet that still after about 7 years has water in it, inspite of all the holes I drilled in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.