Pressure washer with lake water

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I was wondering if anyone has ran their pressure washer off of lake water before? Was an extra pump needed to provide some water pressure or will a short piece of hose suffice?

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I used lake water to power wash a dock without water or electrical hookup. I used a 110 v submersible pump powered by a generator to supply the water to the power washer, but also installed a water filter in the feed hose to keep nozzles from clogging. Worked great!

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I think the answer depends on the pressure washer. I used mine (cheap Simoniz) with a short hose dropped to the lake (no extra pump) and it worked. I imagine that the amount of head would make a major difference. Maybe drop the short intake hose into a bucket?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My pressure washer is rated for somewhere in the range of 2.7 @ 2700PSI. I'm guessing the inlet hose would be 4-6' to get from the water to the pressure washer on the dock. Do pressure washers have self priming pumps?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I own four pressure washers (its a long story) and none of mine do well if there is air in the line. I always have to let the water run with the washer off until the last air bubble works itself out. YMMV

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
My pressure washer is rated for somewhere in the range of 2.7 @ 2700PSI. I'm guessing the inlet hose would be 4-6' to get from the water to the pressure washer on the dock. Do pressure washers have self priming pumps?
The height above the water is what is critical not so much the length of hose considering your only flowing a couple gpms.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I checked it out last night. It's 2.7@2500 PSI. I would be using it on a floating dock so I'm estimating about 1ft above the water. I suppose I could try tossing it in a dingy so it's nearly the same height as the water.

Unless I use a pump some air in the line is inevitable. With such a short hose I'm not terribly worried about it. I'm seeing syphon hoses for electric models for this exact purpose. On my pressure washer I can pull the trigger with the motor off to eliminate air in the line so I know that pump will flow through. My biggest question is are the pumps on pressure washers typically self priming?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
The 3 PW's that I've owned would not self prime. I used to take my RV down and gravity feed into the PW from it's fresh water tank.
I don't pressure wash at the lake any longer after the citation ($238) I got for washing things off my boat that came out of the lake. Your mileage may vary.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I don't pressure wash at the lake any longer after the citation ($238) I got for washing things off my boat that came out of the lake. Your mileage may vary.
Wow! That’s amazing. You would think that a verbal warning would be adequate.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Seawater Pro water makers use a pressure washer in their most basic version. - and you can also use a wand to pressure wash and make water. They use a 12 volt boost pump similar to a wash down pump. If you have a wash down pump on your boat, use that as the feed for your pressure washer instead of a hose in the lake. That should work if your boat is nearby.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
If your pressure wash can draw the water up to the pump make sure that you attach a fine screen at the hose intake so that nothing can enter the hose and clog the nozzle tip.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My bilge pump is rated for 360gph/60gpm so in THEORY this should have no issues keeping up with a demand of 2.7gpm. Somehow I dont think this little pump is upto the task. Thoughts?