prepping for the shakedown - sanity checks

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Fear won't win. That's for certain. I'll know this boat inside and out because I'll be the one who put every last bit where it is.

Fwiw... Motor stress test is already planned for this weekend. Lol

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you need a checklist, you are not sailing frequently enough. If committed to memory the brain has the ability to look at its list all at once and even scramble the steps and items. You can even work the list subconsciously while you concentrate on other things. It takes a little while and mistakes will be made but you will get there. When sailing we do not need the precision of a pilot and a written checklist acts as a crutch that slows down the process of committing it to memory as well as significantly slowing down your departure. If you have to load a car with things to take to the boat then a list is not a bad idea but if you are just preparing to cast off then a well rehearsed routine is all that is needed. My thing about a sailing checklist comes from a friend who is an airline pilot and he has a list which drives me nuts, "turn batteries on, warm up engine". Enjoy your sail.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Lol .that's the point. Even the sailing for dummies book doesn't have a suggested departure routine. I'm creating it from guesswork. I'm kinda ashamed I forgot 'check weather' when writing it all down actually. Cause you're right. Stuff is muscle memory... But a boat this size and the marina and all the other logistics... This is all very new. I jumped up from little lake boats in the scouts. You derp one of those you swim to shore in less than 5 minutes. Lol

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I was assuming you already knew how to sail. Even if you do and its a new boat to you the advice to motor for awhile first, then in the open with plenty of room and light to moderate breez(less than 10 knots) sailing with one sail first is a good idea. Then add the other sail when you gain some confidence in doing it with one sail is a good idea. From you comment on the small boats in the scouts it looks like you already know the fundamental. From my experience the mid size boats like your 26 are easier to sail if the winds aren't really strong than the little wet boats. You don't worry about having to take a swim unless you do something really foolish. Your biggest concern is more than likely running aground or into a submerged object (depending on the lake) and you can avoid that by selecting the area you are sailing.

But again - have fun!!!! Don't take safety for granted but then again, don't be obsessed with zero risk. Have a plan to manage the risk (hence, my anchor and cell phone) If you don't you'll spend all your time at the pier getting ready and no time on the water!!

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
i know how to trim a sail. on a 16 foot lake boat that is as simple as you can get cause... boyscouts.

Never had to trim a headsail. never been on something big enough to have one.

never had to worry about a bunch of the other rigging and such. never had to worry about rules about bigger boats and understanding right of way and passage rules (studied and confident i got that down from nauticed).

so... for all intents and purposes - i don't know how to sail. thats kinda the approach i'm taking with it :p better to be sure than to assume.

like with that fishing boat. i assumed boats didn't have holes in them to let water in. never dawned on me that it might have holes to let water out - i grew up bailing rowboats with a bucket after all :p

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Attached a pic of the chart. I'm gonna do the shake there in the area just above the word lake... Outside of that lane. Plenty close enough to motor home. Busy out there... Having watched the lake last few times out.

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Looks like you have a good plan. What is your draft (depth from the water to the bottom of your keel? Do you have a depth sounder? Do you have any kind of GPS or nav gear other than the chart? Its okay if you don't but just make sure you can tell where you are and so you don't get in trouble. If not you can probably download something on your phone fairly cheaply but make sure it covers lakes in your area. Make sure you know where you are and give yourself plenty of room to the shallow water and areas with possible underwater obstacles like stumps and submerged logs. Start out with motoring around the area you intend to sail first. When you are comfortable with that, try just with the main sail. That should not be a whole lot different than the wet boat you sailed on in the scouts. If you can find someone who sails keel boats (boats with keels - it doesn't have to be just like yours, just a boat with a keel) see if you can get them to go out with you and "show you the ropes." Or you could walk around the marina and find someone who is going out, explain your situation and see if you could go for a sail with them and see how its done. Most sailors would be happy to help you.

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Opencpn on phone and tablet.

I spent my Xmas bonus and bought a b and g Triton 2... So .Yah. I got the other bits if I get it turned on. Lol. I know it's massively over the top.fornthis boat.

Four feet and change of clearance.

Been trying to get buddy buddy with folks here but... I dunno. Maybe there's a secret handshake. Lol. The power boater next to me is cool but that doesn't help haha. I'm going out this weekend to do little things... Like get that Triton to work... And maybe try to network some.more.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Heya guys. the 28th i'll loose myself from the dock and here's what i know i'm going to do. make sure i'm not missing something ya?

Motor
Quickstart on board
Fuel in tank
Oil additive for gas (outboard)
Sheets inspection
Main
Halyard
Downhaul
Outhaul
Main
Vang
Jib
Halyard
Jybe sheets
Furler
Backstay
Safety gear
New flares
Replace rotted type iv
Boat already has 6 life preservers on board, and 3 fire extinguishers
Nav light check
Handheld radios

the intention is to do a dock depart, loop and redock, then depart motor out and get clear and pull up sails and do a thirty minute shakedown and return.

if that goes well, recheck everything, and if there's time sail to the end of the lake i'm on and back again... the lake being lake macatawa and approx 10 nautical miles long and 2 wide, giving at least a 5 hour trial.

thoughts?

here's a wide view chart of the lake
View attachment 153803

blue pen shows where i'm docked vs the long route. roughed in of course :p i don't have opencpn on the machine i'm posting from today.
Sir, I would not leave my slip with that list! It would be most unsafe! I do not see rum, gin, wine or even beer on your list. I see no ice, no koozies, no red solo cups or shatterproof glasses. Leaving without at least a few your favorites would be a tragedy!

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Good advice to start with the main, even though your only experience is in small boats, you know how to trim that one. The extra lines for the main on your boat compared to a day sailer just let you be more precise in trimming it. Get the hang of your main, then use just the jib. After you have played with the jib by watching the telltales and the shape of the sail enough to understand it a little, start reading up and watching YouTube on proper trim. I say read up after you've tried it a little so you have an understanding of what they are talking about.
Go sailing-it's not that hard!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Go out and start sailing! You are a typical engineer in that you are hard wired into overthinking.
There is a time to stop cogitating over all the low probability points of failure, this isn’t rocket science.
You are on Lake Macatawa for heaven’s sake. Plenty of space to sail and practice. You don’t need to go out into Lake Michigan yet. Also, if you go aground,the bottom is fairly forgiving, and if you can’t get yourself free, someone will come along to assist.
Forget your powerboat dock buddies. They’re no help. Try to find some experienced person to go with you at first, and go out on a weekday when most of the idiots are off the water.
Be confident that if you have had some, albeit little, experience in a little boat, it will be a fairly easy transition into your boat.
You will make mistakes, just learn from them. This is supposed to be fun. ENJOY!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Sir, I would not leave my slip with that list! It would be most unsafe! I do not see rum, gin, wine or even beer on your list. I see no ice, no koozies, no red solo cups or shatterproof glasses. Leaving without at least a few your favorites would be a tragedy!
Also no Chips, Fried Chicken or Subs on that list.

Fruit is nice too, apples peaches oranges etc. but please no bananas LOL

no-banans-on-board-520x458.jpg

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
The worst thing to fear is a busy boat ramp on your first launch and recovery if the wind is up....

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@tipsyravensailing I have followed your rebuild/refit project and you are ready. You took small boats out and when in trouble were able to "Swim to shore". Well you can always do that in your big boat, but don't. Stay with the boat, even though you know you can swim to shore.
The skills you have developed are going to work on your Pearson. You are ready. It is like learning to ride a bike. The skills you learn on the tricycle or the 2 wheeler with training wheels are the similar as you progress to a regular mountain bike or even a motorcycle.
The lists are all well and good to get you thinking, and they provide a comfort. You will quickly learn that sailing, once you begin and get out on the water is one of solving little problems linked together. You apply the various appropriate skills to the task at hand. Just take it easy and enjoy the experiences. No need to set up for a hard beat to a upwind mark, when you are out for a get acquainted sail with your boat. Just go out and enjoy a few back and forth beam reaches. The boat will sail in pretty much the same part of the lake, it will go fast, and in control. Do it with one sail, do it with both main and head sail. Try it with motor on and motor off. ( I love the motor off part.) If you are like most of us the lists and worries will evaporate.
Lastly just keep a casual eye out for the weather. It will likely change. It always does. If you do not like what you see, as the life guard says "Ok everyone out of the pool". You are your own life guard.
Have fun.
Only wish I could be on shore and watch your first go. Bet you will have a smile that goes from ear to ear.:)

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Ok... Why not bananas?
Here is a link to an article about this.

Why are Bananas bad luck on Boats

And here is:

The Bananas Aboard Repentance Prayer

Oh great Konpira
please, hear my plea
I am sorry for my mistake
A banana I brought to sea

it was an honest gesture
a noble means of nutrition
I had no ill intent
I brought fruit of my own volition

Please forgive my idiocy