Preferred Outboard HP Catalina 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
- Catalina Little Rock, AR
What size outboard do you have for your Catalina 25'? I'm looking for a motor for a Catalina 25' I just bought.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
motor size

A 6hp long shaft should be fine for and inland lake If you were going to be out in a bigger area and needed to engine in bad weather then a bigger engine might be needed Tommays

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Go to the C25 Assoc website

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3 You'll need to get to know these great guys very well.

D

Dan

<motor size>

The first thing you need to do is to check you owners manual to see what size outboard you transom and bracket are rated for. I been sailing catalinas for a while(C25 is a great boat) and would recommend an 8 or a 9.9 depending on where you would be sailing you new vessel. You never know when your gonna need that extra umph. If your looking for a "new" motor I would recommend a honda. They run extremely smooth and last forever. My honda 9.9 is 6 years old and runs like new.

Oct 2, 2006
Thanks

My brother and I bought an 1986 25' last month and the first day we took it out the motor slid off the mount while we were sailing. My sister-in-law yelled out "is that supposed to happen?" I looked back just in time to see the engine slip below the surface. I told her, "That usually should not happen." On my previous 22' sailboat all I had was a trolling motor and I kept that chained on when I put it on the mount. I just didn't even think about it this time. Guess I was too excited to own a Catalina. Walking up and down the docks I've noticed most of the boats don't have their motors chained up or cabled either. It's comforting to know that my motor will soon have some company!!!!!!!!!!

B

Bob

7.5 HP +

Preston. I have owned two Catlaina 25's over the years and both boats came with the Honda 7.5 engine (1980's models) that is an extremely dependable 4-stroke motor. Our sailing was in a fresh water lake, so the power was sufficient to get us out of trouble in rough conditions. What I found necessary with any outboard for a vessel in your range is the built in alternator that will charge your batteries underway. This is one critical element in your selection. The other of course if where you plan on sailing. If your staying in a lake without tidal influence a 6 hp - 7 hp(longshaft) could do, providing of course it offers the battery charging feature. If however; your planning on trailering and sailing on the coast then I would opt for a larger engine (9HP+) to handle the tidal conditions. I prefer 4-stroke over two stroke, because they are quieter and no oil/mix to mess with. The Honda is an excellent engine, but then they are all expensive these days! Make sure its a long shaft with an alternator. Good luck Bob 30 Catalina

Oct 2, 2006
Thanks Bob

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sailing on freshwater lakes in Arkansas. I just missed out on a chance to buy a motor on ebay with an alternator. It's been a tough process finding a used long shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.