Precision 23 dock size

Mar 13, 2011
Seaward Fox 19 Lakeview, Ohio
May sound like a dumb question, but can a P-23 fit in a 101 inch dock? I know the beam is 8'6" but that's not at the dock level. Any guesses?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Well, 8' 6" is 102 inches, so probably not. Not without a shoe horn and what about fenders.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
It would not be hard to measure your sheer. Drop a plumb line over the side of your gunnel and then measure the distance from the plumb line to the hull at the "dock" level. You would only need to do this at the widest point.

That would let you know if a bumper would fit... and you probably need a few extra inches between the bumper and the hull .... Sounds tight though.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
You would probably have to fit the sides of the slip with bumpers so it would act like a cradle.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
It will fit and maybe even with fenders but you know how difficult it can be to drive two cars down a narrow street with only an inch of clearance on either side. Now try doing that with a boat. You'll have to deal with wind, poor visibility, currents and eventually a pissed off dock neighbor after your scrape up against their boat. Everyone has had docking mishaps. EVERYONE. I had a slip where both boats were about 4 inches away from one another. It was very tough to dock there and that was two miles up a river. We had about a 15% chance of getting the boat in the first time

Mar 13, 2011
I'm going to very kindly ask a dock neighbor if they could switch with us because they have a Hunter which is more narrow and a dock that is 7 inches larger than ours. We are slated to get a brand new dock this winter, so this would be an upgrade that I hope will entice them. Same row of docks. Just as easy to get into. Fingers crossed, folks! If I can't get someone to switch with me I'm going to end up with a dock that is right beside a bridge and a very narrow inlet close to the beach.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
A little confounded by the idea that the widest part of the boat "isn't at dock level". You must be at a floating dock then, no?

Mar 13, 2011
The widest part of the boat is at the gunnels and tapers down to the waterline. Currently, at our lake, the waterline to the top of the dock Is 2 feet. So in theory, the width part of the boat, right now, two feet above the waterline, is what I'm looking at for dock clearance. This is the lowest it will get barring a severe drought.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The widest part of the boat is at the gunnels and tapers down to the waterline. Currently, at our lake, the waterline to the top of the dock Is 2 feet. So in theory, the width part of the boat, right now, two feet above the waterline, is what I'm looking at for dock clearance. This is the lowest it will get barring a severe drought.
Ah, you're on a lake with no tides. Gotcha.

Mar 13, 2011
Yes. I've lived on an inland lake on an island all my life. I never think of tides. Yeah. That would go a long way to understanding my situation. Sorry.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Floating docks and long waitlists are the norm here. I was on a 10 year waitlist and got called after 6 years, we have a slip they said. How wide is it I asked ? 11"11" they said, my boat is 11"10' I said. "Yeah, but that's at the deck and it tapers from there don't it? you want the slip or do I call next person on the list?"
I had to enter and leave without fenders, and sometimes bystanders would clap when I entered because it didn't look like it would fit.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer for Precision, the widest length of the 23 is 8’12”. It sounds you are an inland lake; therefore, no tidal currents but you do have wave action from high winds and power boats that go by too fast rocking sailboats to contend with. I always suggested a minimum of 2 feet each side at the widest point

Mar 13, 2011
We are in a very secluded back bay wi4h little to no action. Now, we have had violent winds to the point that it moved some trailers in our lot with their boats on them! The bay is quiet. You have to go down a narrow channel to get to it.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
This is the lowest it will get barring a severe drought.
Do you get any kind of notice about water levels? Is the boat checked on weekly?
I'm thinking bad weather or just life gets in the way, the water level drops for some reason and you return to find the boat snug in the slip hanging between the dock.
Can you adding padding or cushion of some sort to the sides of the slip so when you enter you don't mar the topsides of the hull? Maybe old firehose?
Also, consider the movement of the boat when moving around on it. Does it rock side to side when stepping into it?

Mar 13, 2011
I'm there probably daily. We're very aware of dry times and there is another wider dock I could move her to if needed. It's always open because no one wants it. Right next to the beach and a bridge, extremely tight, the kayak launch is almost directly behind you (definitely in your path in backing out of this dock), and a heavy current through the bridge. There's a lot of things working against you. When I say "tight" I mean tight. I'm within five minute of the yacht club I have designated myself when there's high water to check the lines of the boats. Most of the rest of the folks at the Yacht Club come in from different cities. There's a few of us locals. I have one other choice, and I may take it, but it's next to the bridge and again, there's a lot of wave action there.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
I say go for it. You are a close distance from the slip and it is a trailer sailor if conditions get untenable. Throw a few sacrificial dollar store noodles just for luck and your continued presence at the dock should get you a more manageable slip when the upgrades are completed in a few months.