Precision 21 vs O'Day 192

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2011
Precision 21 Madison
Hello,
I am a new sailor currently taking lessons and I am considering the two boats (Precision 21 and O’day 192) that are for sale in my area.

My master plan to trailer to the 5 lakes I have available within 30 minutes of my home, one lake is a mile away. I would like to spend a couple/few years getting experience then spend time in the Apostle Islands and Door county Wisconsin. I like the concept of the combination Shoal Draft Keel and Centerboard.

The Oday is listed as $2200 cheaper, but feel it might be too small to spend any significant time on with the possibly of up to 2 adults and 2 kids. I might need to upgrade boats in a couple of years.

With the Precision I think it will be large enough to Camp, but not too large to Sail/trailer. But is it $2200 better? My family has experience sleeping in close quarters, since we do pop up camping, Canoe camping, and backpack camping.

Thanks for your time and your thoughts

chris

Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Forget the money, get the Precision. You'll never be sorry.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Chris,

Size DOES matter. If you're planning on spending time on the boat, go bigger. We bought a Lancer 25. It's the perfect boat for us. 1) The headroom is around 5'-10. 2) It has an enclosed head (but not very big) 3) It has a shoal keel, draws 30". We sail it all over mid-coast Maine, no more than 10 miles out and nothin' bigger that 8' waves. I'm not necessarily advocating a Lancer. Some folks really don't like them. I am, however, suggesting that you go a little bigger. I think you'll be happier on that long weekend with the Mrs. On the smaller boat, if she needs to tinkle (or more) it means a porta-potti in the middle of the salon, for all to see. This doesn't bother some folks.

If I may be so bold, before you buy, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert (or something like it). I got a copy for $9 on Amazon.com. Gilbert covers all sorts of trailering and sailing subject but most importantly, he has 50 or so trailerables in the back with photos, specs, details, pros and cons. It can help you decide what's best for you. We didn't but we really got lucky. Some of the boats we were considering would still be on the hard in the driveway.

Good luck!

Don

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Go with the P21. The wife and i just did first overnight in our P18, It was crowded for just 2 people. Precision Boat would be my choice of course If all other things (size,condition,trailer,etc) are equal. David

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Go with the P21. The wife and i just did first overnight in our P18, It was crowded for just 2 people. Precision Boat would be my choice of course If all other things (size,condition,trailer,etc) are equal. David

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I agree on the size and would look to something that is as big as your budget allows if you want to spend more than just a day or two on the water at a time. The cockpit size will be as important as the interior size.

I looked at some of the Precisions and they look like a lot of boat for one that is only 21 feet. It looks like they don't take much draft, but look quite high on the trailer in pictures I've seen.

If you are doing a lot of trailering to different lakes I'd be concerned about getting the boat into the water with whatever tow vehicle you have. Maybe their tongue extends. I'd want a boat that is easy to launch and also one that is quick to setup once at the ramp.

Whatever you choose have them launch and setup and retreive once for you if possible and see if that is acceptable to you and your family. If it is a pain or needs the 'just right' ramp that could effect how much you use the boat.

Here is a MacGregor video that shows some of the ramp situations....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7076785769434785211

...I'm not saying buy one, but if you want to use the boat a lot at different places getting it to and in and out of the water will be a big issue. Maybe more so than how well it sails.

The best of luck,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I'd agree with the other replies and suggest going with the roomiest boat your budget and tow vehicle can safely handle.

We bought a Hunter 23 and it's just enough room for two adults overnighting. I had a 20' Hunter previously and now already thinking about 25+ footers.

Good luck in your search!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
For the past 10 years we have sailed a 1985 Starwind 223 in sailing venues from the Florida Keys to The Long Island Sound. The Starwind was designed by Jim Taylor who also designed the Precision 21. The short keel/ centerboard combo design provides the benefits of a fixed keel with the convenience of an easy trailerable boat. We have sailed that Starwind in weather where much larger boats were afraid to leave the dock. I consider the boat to be safer than one with a swing ballasted keel and more stable than water ballasted vessels. Never buy a boat that from the onset you consider it to be to small. Somehow it will just continue to get smaller and you'll probably end up loosing money just getting rid of it within a year. I vote for the Precision.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Make an offer on the P21, but not full price. Perhaps you can knock that $2200 price difference down a bit.

Jul 5, 2010
Oday 22, Mariner, Challenger 15 Michigan
Based on my experience, I'd get the O'Day now and look for a larger boat later when you are ready to do some cruising. A smaller (more easily trailered/rigged) boat will probably get sailed more at your local lakes. For cruising, a larger boat(P-23 or similar) would be great. Its hard to find one boat to do everything with. I started out with an O-Day 22 but ended up with three boats which all get used depending on where I am going and how much time I have. Besides, looking at and fixing up older boats is part of the fun of sailing.

Sep 7, 2011
Precision 21 Madison
Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions, I have deciding to go with the Precision 21, I pick it up on Saturday. I look forward to spending many days getting to learn her and sailing, I do plan on naming her since the boat does not have a name, I dont have to worry about jinxing it.

chris

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
That's a good choice! If you're not familiar with trailers, have someone check over the wheel bearings and tires very carefully. You still have decent weather where you're located to sail much into the fall?

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I would go with the Precision 21. I love my O'Day 222 but the O'Day 192 is a little small for overnighters with a family. Also, both of these boats have been known to have serious rudder blade issues.

Sep 7, 2011
Sandpiper565 5.65m Hamilton,On.
Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions, I have deciding to go with the Precision 21, I pick it up on Saturday. I look forward to spending many days getting to learn her and sailing, I do plan on naming her since the boat does not have a name, I dont have to worry about jinxing it.

chris
Congrats on the purchase of your new/used boat Chris, sailing is such a great way of getting around.

Fair Winds......

Sep 7, 2011
Precision 21 Madison
Picking up the boat today, waking up to 45 degrees. My plan was to continue taking lessons with the new (to me) boat and hopefully go by myself a couple of times through October, I have inside (heated)storage lined up for the winter starting in November.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Chris,

We have a standing rule here a SBO; "No pictures, didn't happen." Spoil us.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.