Precision 18 suitable for Hudson River NY?

Mar 28, 2014
Precision P18 Haverstraw Bay
I've narrowed my search for a new boat down to the P18. Has anyone sailed one on the Hudson? My trips will be on Haverstraw Bay with occasional weekend trips north. My experience on the bay goes back to the 80's when I owned a Gloucester 18. The boat did not point well and made efforts to sail upriver agonizing, even when using the tides. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2014
Hunter 31 Lake Norman, NC
i have a P21 and, though i have it up for sale in order to buy a Hunter 31, i can vouch for the stability of the boat on both lakes and coastal waters. i've sailed the Pamlico Sound with comfort in moderate "seas" without distress. She points to weather nicely and stable on a downwind run and following seas. I think you'll love a Precision.

Mar 28, 2014
Precision P18 Haverstraw Bay
Thanks for the reply, choover. I believe there was a gent who built and sailed a Weekender on Lake Norman years ago. He was the moderator of the Back Yard Yacht Builders forum . I would,ve liked to get a larger boat, but at age 74 and singlehanding the 18 is probably the biggest I should trailer sail. Our family vacations on OBX in Waves. As you well know, the east side of the Sound is not for a sailboat with any displacement. Happy sailing!