Pre 1995 Catalina Boats Companionway Screech

Jul 18, 2018
Catalina C-36 Portland OR
The sliding companionway hatch on many of the Catalina Sailboats built in the 80's and early 90's are almost identical in size and design. After many years they develop the same problem, The Sliding Hatch Screech. Many have tried different solutions from spraying silicon, wax, and other lubricating products. Many work in the short run but most attract more dirt, grit and grime that eventually causes the Return of the Screech. I have owned my Catalina 36 for 25yrs, she is sail #1246 and built in 1993. Years back I searched for a solution and came across instructions by Graham MacKay its incredibly simple, solves the problem in 5 minutes and will last as long as you own your boat. So hears the solution. You get a piece of 1/16" thick HDPE plastic and cut it 1" wide by 72" long. You slide the plastic in the channel between the cabin top and the hatch. Voila problem solved. Here's the rub, its hard to find the size you need without buying a sheet of HDPE plastic that is 4' x 8' and then cutting the product precisely. After that you have the two streets you need and a huge piece of plastic left over.
So I decided to buy the product have it cut professionally in to the necessary length and width and sell them to you for $20.00 shipped anywhere in the US.
If you need some help or want to buy feel free to email me at holzie@gmail.com. I also have a youtube video you can search or I can send the link!

Jul 19, 2021
Catalina 30 Florida Keys
Good ide with the plastic. Just wondering how it stays in place.
I have a C 30 and my hatch was hard to open. After some research, I ordered Nylo-tape used for drawer slides from Rockler Woodworking and Hardware. It was a chore to install the tape (i applied it to the underside of the hatch and the coach roof. As I was repainting the hatch and the cover anyway, it was not a big deal. Removed the cover and the hatch. The tape is sticky on one side. Applied same and now the hatch slides smooth as silk. Again, not easy to install, but worth the effort.

Jul 18, 2018
Catalina C-36 Portland OR
If you have the time to take the hatch off, remove dirt and grime then apply the tape thats great. What is awesome about my strips is they will last as long as your boat, you do not have to disassemble the coach roof and deal with adhesives. My strips take less that 60 seconds to install they just slide in. Candidly my strips are just held in place by friction and I have had them on my boat for the past 5 years. I have seen people put a smail amount of butyl. or double sided foam tape to hold in place. One fellow screwed done the end with a small shoulder screw with flush washer. go to youtube and search hatch screech strips