Prada cup on TV

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
@LakeShark

The course layout he proposes has off angle sections where it is likely that one boat would be going upwind at the same time another is going downwind in close proximity.

The AC75 boats are “averaging” something like 30-35 knots. Think of being in the cockpit - head down grinding when the foil of the other boat hits you! That’s gonna leave a mark. :yikes:

That’s not to say that couldn’t happen now but the current course layout “rule” of almost pure upwind/downwind removes some of the “unpredictability” that happens when they bear off etc.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Interesting.... never heard of a “ghost” race. I really don’t get the value of this - if there is any :banghead:Take a chance of damaging the two remaining boats to meet some goofy criteria

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Interesting.... never heard of a “ghost” race. I really don’t get the value of this
Interesting indeed. I believe thought this is to fulfill a technicality in the rules. If the race is not "started" both boats are scored as DNS and thus don't gain any points. So in order to "win" the point at least 1 boat must "start" before the Race Committee can cancel the race because of a DNS by the competitor. Still it is an interesting solution for sure. I'm sure they won't be doing much other than practicing a start which should not risk either vessel.

@LakeShark

The AC75 boats are “averaging” something like 30-35 knots. Think of being in the cockpit - head down grinding when the foil of the other boat hits you! That’s gonna leave a mark. :yikes:
it would be crazy and hurt for sure but its not any more crazy than the close crosses seen in the Sali GP series in the past.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I can understand the need for sticking to the rule book but this seems a bit silly. OH well if the world thought exactly like me it would be perfect but boring;)

I found this graphic of the course layout for the Sail GP series. Other than the start line it looks pretty similar to the AC75 one. There must be some reason they are laid out this way and my guess is for safety.

5278E340-DE3A-4281-990D-D9630A9F933E.jpeg

My only personal experience that even comes close to what I imagine is happening on the foiling boats is performance level windsurfing and a little bit of foiling on the same gear.

It’s relatively easy to maintain (safe) control pointing high upwind or running just slightly off DDW. The rapid transition between those two points can get kinda dicey. :)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@Davidasailor26 great article. I never even thought about the replacement of all electronics and wire looms or their weight in the boat. It will be interesting for sure to see what happens when the boat is back on the water.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
More updates on American Magic’s status, and some details on the damage that was done - American Magic Hastens Return to the Racecourse

It sounds like the damage was pretty extensive - lots more work than just patching the visible hole.
The article mentions the “cooking” of the components. The methodology of prepreg fibre, vacuum bagging and temp curing is quite well known. The attached link is a newly evolved process that doesn’t require the oven. I wonder if they are using it in the repair.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Watching the live coverage on NBCSN tonight. That first 45 minutes focusing on what happened to American Magic to cause the incident and all that went on after was great. Learned a lot on what caused it but also, sailors are sailors, we take care of our own.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
9 lead changes later I don’t think it’s fair to say that these boats can’t produce an exciting race. There were a couple times where maybe a boat chose to go straight rather than risk a maneuver to engage the other, but for the most part that was all you could ask for from a tactical racing standpoint.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I created a thread in "Racing" In regards to the upcoming Prada Cup Finals. I have what I know of the broadcast schedule there as well.