Prada Cup Finals

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Prada Cup Finals are starting on Feb 13th in NZ, which means the 12the here in the US. I am thinking this thread is for discussion of these races as they happen. Note, there could and probably will be spoilers in here so be cautious of that. Also, it has already been discussed ad nauseum in regards to some people who despise the new boats and the technology and and and..... Let's let that discussion be someplace else. This is for the races and what is happening.

Broadcast schedule that I currently know is below, all times are US - CST and on NBCSN;
  • Friday February 12th, 9:00pm
  • Saturday February 13th, 9:30pm
  • Tuesday February 16th, 9:00pm
  • Thursday February 18th, 9:00pm
  • Friday February 19th, 9:00pm
  • Saturday February 20th, 9:00pm
  • Sunday February 21st, 9:00pm
This is as far out as I could go on my Comcast guide.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I’ve been watching the races so far on Utube. They have full coverage and it seems the only way to watch up here and away from civilization.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I find myself rooting for Team INEOS UK in the finals now that American Magic has been eliminated. I think they have the superior boat and speed but the tactics of Luna Rossa seem to be better in most races and i'm not so sure they will catch a lucky break like they did in their final race against Luna Rossa in the round robin series. I will be an interesting matchup for sure and I can't wait. Unfortunately I too have to wait for the youtube coverage as its not available in our area on regular TV.

Who are others rooting for?

Jun 29, 2010
I too am pulling for Ineos UK. But, if the Italians win, I am OK with it. I just want some good racing to be honest.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
This is as far out as I could go on my Comcast guide.
That’s as far out as you need to go - it’s a best of 13 series with 2 races per day.

For those not in the US (or those in the US on a VPN ;) ) the races are available live on YouTube, along with feeds direct from each boat, so you can hear the crew discussion without the commentator voice over or commercial interruption.

May 17, 2004
Not much competition in race 1. One mistake in the pre-start and not enough boat speed to recover. It does look like once the wind filled in a couple more knots UK stopped losing time, so hopefully race 2 will be better winds and a little closer.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Anyone see anything for Ineos to build on to make up for being down 0-2? Seems they're never faster, only slower upwind and maybe even downwind. I don't see Luna Rossa making enough mistakes to undo the boat speed difference. Maybe Ineos can look at their performance in a real race instead of just training and make some tuning tweaks? Maybe on a day with more wind shifts they can leverage some tactics to keep up?

I do wonder if there's a finite amount of boat speed each syndicate's platform can get without more substantial changes than they have time for between series. It seems like American Magic came with the most mature initial configuration but could never advance any further. Luna Rossa made a big step going into the semi-final. Ineos made a big step going into the Round Robins but maybe they haven't been able to keep up with LR's improvement since then? (Or maybe they'll win both races tomorrow, what do I know? :) )

Jun 29, 2010
Lots of " maybe's ", I wouldn't count the Brits out just yet. As is said in sport, it's why we play the game.

May 17, 2004
Lots of maneuvers in the third race excellently handled by both teams. Boat handling looks really solid, making boatspeed even more critical. No more missed tacks like Luna Rossa had in the Round Robins letting their opponent back in.

May 17, 2004
Not much better in race 4. One handling error in the pre-start, followed by lots more well executed maneuvers on both sides - Ineos looking to get free and Luna Rossa successfully covering to slowly but consistently extend. Ineos will need to find more boat speed to recover. Looking for tactical advantages or hoping for an Italian mistake might get them a win or two, since the boats are pretty evenly matched, but not the 7 that they need, I think.

Racing originally scheduled for Wednesday (Tuesday night US time) is postponed due to a COVID lockdown in Aukland. We'll see when they resume and if the extra time gives Ineos a chance to do any extra development.

Jun 29, 2010
I am thinking she is warming up her voice. Brits can't seem to get it together.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
If you missed it. They showed Jimmy Spit hills heart rate after one of their jibes. 77 beats per minute with a max of 80.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
VERY nice to see some actual tactics employed this round. I'm enjoying watching again, even though I'm sad Patriot is out.

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
At this point it's been less about boat speed and more about UK botching all 4 starts one way or the other

May 17, 2004
Racing is on for Friday night. Aukland is at Level 2 of their COVID protocol, so there can’t be gatherings of more than 100 people. Italy refused to allow further delays though, so the racing will happen and should be televised.