Practical dream boat?

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I would go with something fast, easy to sail, sprit for downwind sails, reasonable accommodations, room enough for 4 people for a week. So perhaps a J111, C&C 115, or something from X Yachts.
As long as I don't have to but too many new sails.

I COULD be happy with my C&C 110, but we're dreaming, right?

Barry

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The J121 is a nice looking boat. I'm kinda surprised about the stern overhang. Doesn't seem J-ish. Or like the flat bottom speedsters that are in fashion. I'd like the design brief on that.
Going back to the OP, this wouldn't be sustainable for me. 5 Crew? I think the website said at least 4 sails. 40'. Too big for me. But for a fun sail sometime - count me in.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
Oceanis 60. It would be brand new, which should not require too many repairs for a few years. It can be sailed short handed due to all the modern conveniences. No payments, so I have more money to spend on moorage etc. I would live aboard. And live happily ever after.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The J121 is a nice looking boat. I'm kinda surprised about the stern overhang. Doesn't seem J-ish. Or like the flat bottom speedsters that are in fashion. I'd like the design brief on that.
Going back to the OP, this wouldn't be sustainable for me. 5 Crew? I think the website said at least 4 sails. 40'. Too big for me. But for a fun sail sometime - count me in.
The aft overhang and slight curve to the aft underbody are effects to reduce LWL and wetted surfaces area. Wait, everyone's says LWL is a good thing for speed right? Well, until a boat is at hull speed, LWL and bottom paint are just DRAG that slows the boat down.

Once you start getting close to hull speed, the rig compression on the boat presses it into the water and the whole hull works for max hull speed.

Above that speed and the actually very flat aft section helps the boat plane.

Its pure 2016 stuff!

Nov 8, 2010
In many ways this is J-boats answer to the Pogo 12.50, in more race friendly package.

The sail suite includes a heavy air solent flown form an inner stay (J4), a Code 0 and 2 asyms (reach and run) to go along with the main and jib. Many who buy this for fast cruising will only have jib, main, and a AP asym.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. From the picture without the bottom shape it's hard to tell what the aft sections look like and how they blend into the bottom. From the drawing on the Website it looks like a pretty straight line from the transom to the water line. I would think too acute of an angle there could create separation and drag when it's all in the water. But I'm just speculating. Gotta go.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 2005 36 MK II (1656) Lake Texoma
I mostly lurk in the background trying to absorb information from the group. However this post drew me in. A Texas built 32' Valiant (fresh water). I have had one boat or another at Cedar Mills, Lake Texoma since the mid 1990s. Watched several 42' and 50' boats manufactured and/or refurbished over the years. Sadly, they are no longer manufacturing new boats. I am told that there were only six 32' Valiants built in Texas. Only one has been fresh water at lake texoma since its commissioning. It's just down the dock from me and I have been eyeing it for the past 10 years.

From my perspective it is designed to do everything I could possibly imagine doing on/in/with a boat and more. Sloop rigged preferred. Beautiful boat, perfect for solo with occasional guest/spouse on board.

Just my view of the perfect boat.

Jay
s/v Doctor's Orders

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. From the picture without the bottom shape it's hard to tell what the aft sections look like and how they blend into the bottom. From the drawing on the Website it looks like a pretty straight line from the transom to the water line. I would think too acute of an angle there could create separation and drag when it's all in the water. But I'm just speculating. Gotta go.
All good. Oh BTW, found the design brief the 121. Look at Job #1.

Straight-line speed is the name of the game and is achieved by having a low drag, efficient hull with high form stability and exceptional balance.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For many years I "dreamed" most often of owning a Tartan 40, but I question now whether that dream continues into the Tartan 400. The boat speaks for herself. She's beautiful, comes from a good "family", not overly expensive, and would take care of me where ever I might wish to go.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't see anyone dreaming about catamarans. Reason?
I'm getting my first experience on a big cat later this month. Not something I could ever afford on my own.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Justin, when you get back I hope you start a thread to give us your impressions. I'm in a similar situation in early November.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I will try. I'm not as experienced in all the nuances of boat behavior but I'm sure some impressions will arise. Just catching a mooring ball is different than a monohull.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
You can use 5 or less crew to race, but all head sails are on furlers, and the main is double reefing.

http://www.jboats.com/j121 said:
Simplified Sail-Handling
Handling a 40 footer with 5 or fewer crew requires a rig, sail and deck plan that simplifies sail handling. New technology developed for the Vendee Globe, Volvo Race and other extreme offshore sailing events, is trickling down faster than ever, particularly in new furling systems. The J/121 class sail inventory features an AP furling J1 jib, a hoistable furling J4 inside the forestay, a furling Code Zero flown from the bowsprit, and up to two A-sails on top-down furlers. Each headsail is dedicated to its own furler, meaning less hands on the foredeck and more compact sail stowage below. Combine that with a mainsail on slides that can be quickly adjusted to three different sizes (via a double reef system) and you have a versatile, manageable sail combination across most wind/sea conditions.
I would have to add the optional V berth for Cruising. But the cabin looks quite nice for a performance boat.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I don't see anyone dreaming about catamarans. Reason?
I'm getting my first experience on a big cat later this month. Not something I could ever afford on my own.
I suspect it's due to the criteria of being practical. A cat (or more likely tri) would be quite unwieldy to more at many marinas. cabin and cockpit space would be more challenging etc etc. That being said.... I listed a Steletto 27 as my "dream" early in this thread. sometimes I just have a need for speed ;) and the Steletto sounds like one cat that has some degree of practicality for a poor boy like me :) .

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It took me a while but I finally figured this out. Since it has to be practical and a boat that I will own for at least 10 years, I would jump at the opportunity to be given a brand new Tartan 3400. I love the Tartan quality. Maintenance should be minimal for a new Tartan because any really expensive repairs and/or upgrades should be unnecessary for at least 10 years. It will have carbon fiber mast and Selden trough design boom so flaking a fully battened, high performance mainsail will be a breeze. I'd choose the 5' beavertail bulb, lead keel for our location. Sailing and handling will be simple given the reasonable size and self-tacking jib. Tartan performance is a given, but I don't have any racing aspirations at this stage in my life so anything geared for racing would be totally impractical. I like the 7/8 fractional rig. Deck layout is very simple, interior is beautiful, simple and comfortable for Sue and I. It comes with the Harken hardware that I like. I doubt I would need to replace the new mainsail and jib in a mere 10 years, so my sail expense account would go toward expanding the inventory. The size is perfectly comfortable, manageable and affordable for Sue and I. The boat will take us anywhere on the east coast that we would like to go. It's perfect! Can't think of anything I wouldn't like about this boat or would have to compromise!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
Easy---

A late 90’s Valiant 40 or 42….

They have some of the best cabin layouts for a couple and occasional guests in my opinion. They are well made, they will take anywhere, and they are affordable to purchase and maintain. The boat is large enough for a couple to live aboard for an extended period of time yet small enough that they can be easily singlehanded. The boats are fast enough in most wind conditions and comfortable.

Both the 40 & 42 have easy access to all systems including the engine (this alone makes it a Dream Boat). After all there will be a fair amount of maintenance over the next 10 years – so make it as easy as possible. The boats are cutter rigged providing a nice variety of sail options for a variety of sailing conditions.

They have nice lines at anchor and under sail. A boat that makes me smile as I dinghy past them when in a crowded anchorage.

The Valiant 40/42 is my practical dream boat that I could easily own and sail for 10 years or more.

Garner

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am there with my H-34.. plenty space for Susan and I and she makes a fine coastal cruiser.. I have owned her for 25 years and am not thinking of selling her.. quick enough to be interesting; a little demanding for good sail trim.. but a fine boat.