Powerboater !!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Mama Mia!!! What is it with Italians and senseless captaining on cruise ships?
This wasn't the same captain from the Costa Concordia...was it?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
There is a video already circulating taken from the seawall at about the 2nd main walkway. You see the gray-hulled powerboat just crumble, along with the dock.

Carnival blamed it on "rough currents and wind conditions". I guess even a bow and stern thruster can be overcome, but you'd think with a little advance planning....

Edit: Found it.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
Think about how the captain might have tried to spin that story if there was no one with camera evidence around.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Some days you really Need a tugboat.

I see a lot of ships trying to leave port everglades with thrusters, when years ago there would be a few tugs helping.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I wonder if there's any video of the BC Ferry who lost power going into Horseshoe Bay and ran into the marina? The marina actually made a joke of it (years later): they had an ad saying "big boat? No problem, we'll make room!" I knew a guy that got a nice brand-new 42ft Meridian out of the deal...

druid

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Druid, no, but in San Diego they tried to make a new dock...

Regardless of the excuses, the Clown Cruise, err... Carnival Cruise will be responsible for all the damage done to that marina and the boats.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
The Adventure Hornblower. Apt. Wonder what the two blasts were for at the end, after the impact?

Reports have the crew saying the throttle stuck.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
LOVE that it's called "Hornblower"! :) And in this case, looks like the dock won...

druid