Power Winch Throwing Breaker... Question

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My halyard power winch is beginning to throw the breaker when it has raised the sail but not yet put significant load on the halyard. It's old, 26 years, but reliable otherwise. Any troubleshooting hints? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Long shot but even if the breaker amp is sized correctly for your wire and winch you might want to replace the breaker as it might be nearing end of life. You might find these two threads useful as they discuss some troubleshooting tips.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
How long has it been since you took apart the winch, cleaned, lubed and reassembled it? That needs to be done now and then. Have you checked the contacts, lugs and wires for corrosion? Corrosion equals resistance which increases amperage, which blows circuit breakers. And of course what sail sfbay said above.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
All good idea's here. Also if the breaker has a high trip count it could be wearing out. If you have a clamp-on a meter why don't you check the trip point. That test would immediately tell you if the breaker is toast. And if you see unreasonably high current then other faults come to mind.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thanks guys. When I get to the boat, the first thing I'll check is the connections. Then I'll use my clamp-on to check the trip point under load. It's been three years since I serviced the winches, so they are due, but the winch works manually fine. I suspect it's the breaker, but I'll obviously check the connections first.