Power issues

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Hey all, we just purchased a very lightly used 2008 Hunter 27. It was ordered with the shore power package, microwave, electric cooktop and electric cooler. Unfortunately, none of that works. In troubleshooting we checked the main breaker in the back of the aft cabin, it's on. The battery charger is working fine, green light is on the AC panel. Checked the breakers on the back side of the AC panel, both are on. DC main breaker is on, cooler switch on the back side of the DC panel is on. Meter says no power to the 12v DC outlet under the galley. The previous owner never used any of this, the user manuals are still inside. The owner's manual is pretty vague but does mention something about an "inverter" and that it senses shore power. Can anyone help shed some light on the problem? I emailed Hunter last week, no response form their tech service department.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Hey all, we just purchased a very lightly used 2008 Hunter 27. It was ordered with the shore power package, microwave, electric cooktop and electric cooler. Unfortunately, none of that works. In troubleshooting we checked the main breaker in the back of the aft cabin, it's on. The battery charger is working fine, green light is on the AC panel. Checked the breakers on the back side of the AC panel, both are on. DC main breaker is on, cooler switch on the back side of the DC panel is on. Meter says no power to the 12v DC outlet under the galley. The previous owner never used any of this, the user manuals are still inside. The owner's manual is pretty vague but does mention something about an "inverter" and that it senses shore power. Can anyone help shed some light on the problem? I emailed Hunter last week, no response form their tech service department.
Do you have AC outlets? You should, and that would be my next test for power while connected to shore. Just make sure your main AC breaker is on and your Outlet breaker is on. That your battery charger is working indicates you're getting power to some of your devices. Unfortunately, dealers often wire in options like inverters so you may need to contact the commissioning dealer for ideas.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
I found the answer over the weekend.

I did some further investigating and troubleshooting over the weekend. It was scary Friday morning to find the hot water heater energized and hot with the switch on the panel turned off. Fortunately it was still filled with antifreeze from when the PO had it winterized last fall so did not burn out or catch fire. The 110v outlets were also energized, that breaker is located on the back side of the AC panel and was switched on. The other breaker on the backside is labeled "microwave", that breaker was also on but neither the microwave or stovetop worked. On a hunch, I switched off the breaker for the microwave. When I came back the next morning the water heater was cool to the touch. Obviously the water heater was wired to the microwave circuit. It had been on since shore power was hooked up last week. Once again on a hunch I turned on the water heater switch and sure enough, the microwave and stove top powered up. The panels are labeled exactly like the photos in my owner's manual so it must have been wired incorrectly from the factory. I will be re-labeling the circuits correctly. I am not a fan of this two sided electrical panel.

The 12v circuits were also an easy fix. Both of the 12v outlets had wires on the back that had fallen off or were unplugged. They just got plugged back in and the outlets function perfectly.