Power Cord Cleaning

anthem

Oct 4, 2008
Pursuit 3400 express st petersburg, FL
There have been several threads on cleaning power cords. Acetone...bad choice, leaves power cords sticky. I have tried everything mentioned in addition to soaking in Mr. Clean and every other degreaser on the market. None of it works very well. Here's the solution "Marine Strip" A boat Captain told me about it. It is fantastic! It's Good for Power Cords, Fenders, Vinyl seats, rub rails, etc. I pour it on a damp towel and just wipe the dirt off! Very little elbow grease required. Cords that have not been cleaned for many years might require a second cleaning. I have no affiliation with this product except I sell it in my Hardware store in Florida and have been using it for several years. No BS, it really works.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I went to Amazon and 5 people already had it in their shopping cart. $19 a quart.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Looking at the MSDS, it appears to be a flammable paint stripper. Can't figure out what the formulation is.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Any idea if it works on fenders as well? I use mineral spirits but it does require a lot of scrubbing. If this product works with less effort it could be worth trying.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. Which product? I see 3 products with the name "Marine Strip." I presume we are talking about the Restoration Tech product.
b. MSDS or SDS? I'm not interested in using something I do not know anything about, particularly since the EPA has been considering banning a key ingredient in many "safe" strippers (NMP). No mysteries allowed.

anthem

Oct 4, 2008
Any idea if it works on fenders as well? I use mineral spirits but it does require a lot of scrubbing. If this product works with less effort it could be worth trying.
Excellent on Fenders, vinyl seats, etc.

anthem

Oct 4, 2008
a. Which product? I see 3 products with the name "Marine Strip." I presume we are talking about the Restoration Tech product.
b. MSDS or SDS? I'm not interested in using something I do not know anything about, particularly since the EPA has been considering banning a key ingredient in many "safe" strippers (NMP). No mysteries allowed.
Here's the link....https://themarinestrip.com/

Mar 26, 2011
I saw that, but there are too many conflicting or ambiguous statements and no MSDS I can find:
  • Non-toxic when dry. What does that mean? Are there volatile toxic materials?
  • It burns with a lazy flame, therefor it is flammable. No, that is not the definition of flammable. It is defined by flash point.
  • Good ventilation because the product will displace air. Does this suggest it contains methylene chloride? Something else very volatile? But it does not say. Lots of precaustions that suggest very fast drying.
  • UN 1263. These are flammable materials, including acetone etc.
With those hazard warnings, better product labeling is needed, and that lapse bothers me. If there is enough of something in the air to "displace air," I darn well need to know what it is.

If you stock in your store I think you are required to have an MSDS. Please share.

anthem

Oct 4, 2008
I saw that, but there are too many conflicting or ambiguous statements and no MSDS I can find:
  • Non-toxic when dry. What does that mean? Are there volatile toxic materials?
  • It burns with a lazy flame, therefor it is flammable. No, that is not the definition of flammable. It is defined by flash point.
  • Good ventilation because the product will displace air. Does this suggest it contains methylene chloride? Something else very volatile? But it does not say. Lots of precaustions that suggest very fast drying.
  • UN 1263. These are flammable materials, including acetone etc.
With those hazard warnings, better product labeling is needed, and that lapse bothers me. If there is enough of something in the air to "displace air," I darn well need to know what it is.

If you stock in your store I think you are required to have an MSDS. Please share.
I also sell Acetone, Mineral spirts, paint thinner, Turpentine, MEK, etc. The difference?? All allowable. Not sure I understand your point?

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I just cleaned my power cord. I used magic erasers and that got most of the dirt off. I used acetone sparingly to get the stuff the magic erasers couldn't get. Once it was clean I put on 5 coats of wax. I think it will be good for a while.

Mar 26, 2011
I also sell Acetone, Mineral spirts, paint thinner, Turpentine, MEK, etc. The difference?? All allowable. Not sure I understand your point?
An MSDS must be available for all of these, since all contain hazardous materials. The other MSDSs are easily available on-line and I imagine (hope) you have them in the store. Do you have one for Marine Strip?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I sparingly used toluene while outside on the dock with gloves. Worked very well. Did not seem to soften the cord like acetone does. Applied several coats of Aerospace 303.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Both our PO cords, dirty as they are, will remain so. No interest here in keeping them clean so long as they do the intended job. Rain water gives them a fresh bath now and again, good enough for this old salt. Now the boat, on the other hand, needs to always look pretty; she gets a good scrubbing each season whether she needs it or knot.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I kept finding scuff marks on the foredeck/cabin front and down the side deck. I always thought my Keene sandals were doing it until I was coiling the cord and a loop dropped and causing a scuff on the smooth gelcoat that is the forward cabin. I also tried it on the nonskid. Aha! Now I know...clean the cord

Sep 25, 2008
An MSDS must be available for all of these, since all contain hazardous materials. The other MSDSs are easily available on-line and I imagine (hope) you have them in the store. Do you have one for Marine Strip?
Apparently not... a lot of small business guys don't know the requirements until the fire Marshall inspects them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don... Why let rules get in the way of business.
Better to ask for forgiveness then to ask permission. Worked when they were kids. Of course it works as an adult.

Sep 25, 2008
Don... Why let rules get in the way of business.
Better to ask for forgiveness then to ask permission. Worked when they were kids. Of course it works as an adult.
People automatically insure their business from fire damage losses but never consider how dangerous that fire would be to the firefighters who need to know what's burning. As I suspect you already know, the only way to do that is to comply with both Federal and state laws requiring inventory notification including, among other things, MSDS availability.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Know it. And adhere to it.... Even though Milk is not a hazardous chemical. At least if your not Lactose intolerant. :)

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I always thought my Keene sandals were doing it until I was coiling the cord and a loop dropped and causing a scuff on the smooth gelcoat that is the forward cabin.
Hi Mark, know the feeling from many years ago when I used to lay stuff (cords, sheets, etc.) on the deck. Amazing how grime gathers around those things. So, what I've done for years is to hang our shore power cord from the life lines while docked. I used to use WM brand Velcro straps, but they lasted only but a year or two and pricey.

While running I would pick up these black rubber cargo straps that have galvanized "S" hooks on each end. I discarded the rubber part and modified one end of the hooks in my vice by crimping it to slide over the life line with the cord hanging on the other. The has worked quite well over the years, last forever, free and an ample supply just laying along side the road way. That way the cord stays off the deck and secure in its place. I also use them on the furler double line keeping it off the deck to avoid collecting gunk.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Know it. And adhere to it.... Even though Milk is not a hazardous chemical. At least if your not Lactose intolerant. :)
Depending on where it is, it could be. If it gets into a farm pond it is known as COD (chemical oxygen demand) and will kill all the fish. Back when I was cleaning up HAZMAT spills, we responded to milk truck that turned over for that very reason.