Potty for 1981 Mac 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Dear Head Mistress: What is the proper size (and/or model) of Porta Potty to fit the 1981 Mac 25? There are lockdowns(?) installed. Thanks for your help.

Dave

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It depends...

What is the proper size (and/or model) of Porta Potty to fit the 1981 Mac 25? There are lockdowns(?) installed.
Do you want a portable? Or one designed to be permanently installed and fitted for pumpout? How many people? How long do you do want to stay out--just day sailing? Overnight or two...or maybe three? A week?

The two brands you want to consider are Dometic/SeaLand and Thetford (I'm partial to Thetford). There are only two sizes--2-3 gallons and 5-6 gallons. "MSD" in the model # means it's designed to be permanently installed and pumped out ...no "MSD" means it has to be carried off the boat to empty it. The footprints are pretty much same for all of 'em...it's the height that determines capacity. However, "same footprint" doesn't necessarily mean that what's made today will fit your existing mounting brackets...in fact, the odds are pretty good that nothing will. Not a big deal to move 'em though...we'll cross that bridge if we get there.

The smaller 2-3 gal models hold about 20 flushes...full, the tanks weighs about 25 lbs...not too bad to carry up the dock to empty it...in fact, not really enough to be worth dealing with pumpouts. The larger 5-6 gal models hold 50-60 flushes...full, the tank weighs about 50 lbs. You DO want an "MSD" version in that size!

When I know how you want to use your boat, I can tell you which one I think you should buy.

May 22, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Thank you, thank you. I should have been more specific when asking, and for that I apologize. I also should have answered sooner, but I couldn't find the thread! I'm learning, LOL.
We will be doing mostly doing day sailing, usually just the two of us. As soon as we get the boat wet, I should add. Hopefully, when the grandkids visit we'll have a couple more on board from time to time.
I'm adding a mast-raising system and Lynn is redecorating the cabin. Just to be on the smart side, I'm taking the US Sailing Assn. Basic Keelboat course the first weekend in July. It's been a while since I've sailed, and Lynn never has.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd go with a 5-6 gallon "MSD" model

As I mentioned previously, height is the only difference...and no one has ever complained that their tank was too large. There's certainly no rule that dictates how quickly you have to fill it up, but you have no idea how many friends you have till they find out you now own a boat. :dance: So you may fill it up faster than you think you will. Because MSD versions are vented, same as other tanks, it's much easier to eliminate odor in 'em than in the sealed portable tanks, and you can still carry it off the boat to empty it if need be.

As I also mentioned, I prefer Thetford potties over the SeaLand "Sanipotties," but that choice is up to you. If you go with Thetford, your choice is between the 365 MSD and the "electric" 465 MSD, which needs SIX AA batteries. I dunno how fast it eats batteries, but that COULD get expensive, not to mention a PITA to keep enough onboard...you don't want to risk your grandkids being unable to flush. But again...your choice. Here's a link to Thetford's portable line:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCTS/PortableToilets/tabid/83/Default.aspx

You'll need a deck pumpout fitting, 1.5" hose for the pumpout and 5/8" hose for the vent, some hose clamps...and that's it. You can get it all including the portapotty from the online store right here, for better prices than most other places too! sbo.com plumbing

jimq26

Jun 5, 2004
- - -
465 MSD seems to be easy on the batteries.

Installed a new 465 MSD in May of 2010. Put in new AA batteries per specs. Ran all summer and had two pump outs (about 125 flushes with the electric pump).

Boat went on the hard in October so I removed the batteries from the battery compartment, put them in a plastic bag on their own, and let them sit until this past April.

Tested the batteries before I recommissioned the boat for launch, and found that they still were showing 1.50 to 1.52 volts. Put them back in, and away we go for another season.

IMHO - the electric water pump on the 465 uses very little power. Amazing clean and easy to use unit that anyone who comes aboard can use with minimal instruction.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
I have the 5 gal sanipotti. My bellows went south and I wasn't about to spend $40 for a new one. I managed to convert mine to an electric flush using a Rule inline submersable bilge pump. Made a cover plate where the bellows used to be and a watertight cable seal. My wife loves this and so have my guests. Takes about a 1-2 second push of the button and boy do you get a strong cleaning flush. You're right Peggy, its amazing how many friends are wanting to crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.