Pots and pans

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I need to figure this out, also is there Pot Restraints that work with the stove?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you reduce the number of pots and pans needed then you problem to find storage becomes smaller. We have reduced our cooking chores aboard to merely heating already prepared dishes. Consequently we reduced the number of cookware to a set of pots. Don't get me wrong, we eat good, we just found that cooking at home before a trip is much more convenient and provides better results; we freeze the food and then all we do is defrost and reheat when we are at sea. This way cooking aboard is much simplified and we can even heat a full meal under adverse weather. Hope this helps.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We have a French boat so there is always a place for cookware. The stove has fiddles that hold pots and pans. After 3 or 4 months at sea you run out of things you cooked at home.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Magma, Camco or Kuuma all make stainless steel nesting pots. We've had the Magma for close to 15 years through two boats, and they're great. Compact, indestructable and actually decent heavy cookware.

But I will say that we rarely use much of our cookware. A good frypan and kettle are mostly what we use on the stove, with an occasional small pot. We grill a lot on stern, and bake in the oven. But we don't spend more than weekends on the boat, so if you're living on it for decent stretches I imagine you'd get a lot more use out of the entire nesting pot set.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Anyone come up with creative solutions for how or where to stow pots and pans?
You don't need much space and we have found you don't need to buy nesting specific, cookware. Most of your cookware already is self nesting. Smallest pan/pot fits in the next smallest pan, etc. Voila. We keep two fry pans and a few medium to small pots and pans, all in one nest. They take up the space of the largest diameter pan and require about 8-9" of height, as they nest.

Next to that, we keep a large deep pot and several pots, bowls, that we've found, fit inside the largest one. Total cookware storage space is about 2 square feet and 8-9" high. Luckily, the exists behind sliding doors behind our galley cooker. Over the years we've ditched a pot or pan for a replacement and never haven't been able to nest them this way.

My family are all avid cooks. The only cooker that is used (abused) more than our home stove, is the small one on the boat. Our galley has produced countless extensive meals over decades. Amazingly, everything we need takes up little space.

Somesville  (1 of 1).jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
. After 3 or 4 months at sea you run out of things you cooked at home.
Could not see spending uninterrupted 3 or 4 months at sea in a 30 ' boat; but obviously that would require more cookware as well as freezer and pantry space. We are mostly coastal cruisers with access to take out services or Uber delivery at least every other day. It's all personal choice.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We are mostly coastal cruisers with access to take out services or Uber delivery at least every other day.
You must live in a more civilised area then we do! We often go a couple of weeks without seeing another boat let alone a marina or town. Last year we were out 4 months, the year before for 5 1/2. You can't leave the boat at the dock gathering weeds.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have the Magma Nesting pots and pans. We also have a small ceramic frying pan, two small cookie sheets, a bread pan and baking pan all that fits in the oven.

We have pot holders we got a boat show but we don't use them much. Our average passage is 36 hours. Our long is 3-4 days. So we will typically do our cooking before we leave and just heat stuff up quick or eat it cold. For coffee and tea we use an electric kettle.

On deliveries I cook and use pot holders. Longest there is 14 days.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
We have the Magma Nesting pots and pans. We also have a small ceramic frying pan, two small cookie sheets, a bread pan and baking pan all that fits in the oven.
Great idea keeping cooking gear in oven. Ordinarily it’s totally wasted space when not In use.