Potential New owner of a 30 MkII

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
C&C 30 MkII Corpus Christi
Good day all. I'm about to purchase (offer submitted) an 88 30 MkII shoal keel. It seems to be in incredible condition, really sweet. Of course the price is reflecting that, but for my 1st real boat, I didn't want a beater or project. I sold my West Wight Potter P15 last week to get this one. I plan to live aboard it for 1 year by myself in Maryland (Harrington Harbor South) while at a training course just outside DC. Then I will sail it home to Corpus Christi, TX following the ICW and cut through Lake Okeechobee. It comes with a ton of sails, dingy, etc. I will install a refrigeration plate in the ice box. I think I will install marine A/C system in it since I will live in it during the summer. That will cost an arm and leg though.
Can you all help with a few questions please?

1) I have not done a survey yet. Anything I should look for?
2) Also, there is no bow roller and it doesn't look like there is room for one. Where does everyone put the anchor? Do you stow it in the locker every time? Is there an option for a bow roller? I'd like to get a windlass and bow roller for it.
3) Does anyone have A/C installed and where did you put it? I'm not talking about the ones that go over a hatch and drip condensation or a home unit sitting on my floor. The external ones are a last resort, but still an option.
4) What is the mast height or height above the water that I should know for bridge clearances?
4) Is this boat capable of making the run from Maryland to Texas via Lake Okeechobee? I have sailed my Potter (whopping 15') on small lakes, will take the ASA 101, 103/104 class next month, and...will sail often in the Chesapeake Bay. I work a 5 days on 5 days off schedule and will get out all the time weather permitting.
Thanks.

Apr 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Alameda, CA
Not sure about some of your questions, but is it a standard rig or tall rig with a bow sprit? Mine is a tall rig, and came with anchor rollers. I've seen projects online of standard rig owners adding new rollers and windlasses. Check the technical library at catalina30.com it has a lot of good tips. Also join the Catalina 30 sailboat owners group on Facebook. There are hundreds of owners and they offer advice and tips on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
P1160872.JPG

I find it hard to believe that a C30 Mark II doesn't have an anchor roller. That was standard equipment. But you've seen the boat, I haven't. Got any pictures of the bow?

I just looked and you said 1988 Mark II. I doubt it, since Catalina didn't start making Mark IIs of most of their boats until the mid-90s. Could you clarify or confirm?

And even the 88s should have come with small bow rollers, like the ones above in the photo.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
View attachment 122205
I find it hard to believe that a C30 Mark II doesn't have an anchor roller. That was standard equipment. But you've seen the boat, I haven't. Got any pictures of the bow?

I just looked and you said 1988 Mark II. I doubt it, since Catalina didn't start making Mark IIs of most of their boats until the mid-90s. Could you clarify or confirm?

And even the 88s should have come with small bow rollers, like the ones above in the photo.
The Mk-II began in '87. And it certainly had a bow roller standard.

Jan 30, 2012
Catalina 36 Bayfield, WI
I'm guessing serpa4 is referring to a c&c instead of a Catalina.

Feb 26, 2004
The Mk-II began in '87. And it certainly had a bow roller standard.

Thanks, Alan, I stand corrected. The Mark II changed the cockpit, but the rest of the boat was pretty much the same. The Mark III is where they widened the cockpit, much like our Catalina 34 Mark I to Mark II change.

From the C30 IA Website:

C30 DESCRIPTION...

Designed over 25 years ago (1974), the traditionally styled Catalina 30 remains extremely popular with cruisers, due to its wide and deep hull creating exceptional volume above and below decks and for its stability under sail. It was offered in standard and tall rig configurations, each with a bowsprit option. Shoal, wing and deep fin keels were offered for varying performance. It offers more space than a typical 34' boat. There are seven full adult berths, 6' 4" headroom and large storage areas under the settees, v-berth, q-berth and in the three cockpit lockers.

There is a large anchor locker in the forepeak. With a huge companionway hatch and large forward hatch, the boat is well ventilated and bright inside. Over the years, many changes were made to fabrics, decorative materials, trim, colors and fashion, and the boat has remained remarkably appealing. The hull Catalina 30 deckhouse, windows and sheer line still define the entire Catalina family of boats.

The original or Mark I model was built from 1975 to 1986 and features the straight cockpit designed for tiller steering and end-boom main sheeting. This model has been widely modified and updated by the owners and improved by the factory with a skeg, a balanced rudder, mid-boom (cabin-top) main sheeting. and pedestal/ wheel steering. It typically had wire-rope external halyards lead to mast winches. The early Yanmar, Universal 5411 and Atomic-4 engines were phased out in favor of the 3-cylinder Universal M-25 diesels during the middle 80s. Design deficiencies with the chain plates (bulkheads) and rudder were eliminated in the late 1970's production models. Upgrade kits for most of these changes are available from the factory.

The updated Mark II was built from Sept 1986 until 1993 and featured a T-shaped cockpit mold with wide flat coamings and oriented totally to pedestal steering. Halyards were moved inside the mast and lead back to the cockpit.
The M-25 became the only engine option in Oct 1988. During this production period, the original SeaWard blocks and Nicro mainsheet gear were replaced by Garhauer equipment. The curved traveler was flattened using more Garhauer equipment. More optional equipment became standard and more opening ports were added, included in the midship hull. The new wing keel option was introduced in Nov 1986. It became standard on the newer Mark III.

The Mark III was introduced in 1994. The broader Mark III stern has a walk-thru transom with boarding/swim platform which takes advantage of the original split backstay.
The cockpit is now even more comfortable than ever with wider coamings for outboard seating and new observation seats built into the stern rail. Low maintenance materials have been used extensively to give you more time to enjoy your C-30. New stainless steel traveler supports improve visibility and reduce friction on halyards. The galley has been made even larger with new custom countertop surfaces, more cupboards and drawers, and a dish and cup storage rack. The varnished interior teak cabin surfaces are accented by polished brass light fixtures. Natural light has been increased through the addition of 3 fixed ports in the hull.

Catalina MARK III shares the under body and rig of earlier Catalina 30's and is eligible to participate in Catalina 30 One Design events and Class Association activities.
Mechanical and electrical components remain essentially the same throughout the entire production run. An electrical cable upgrade (cockpit to engine) eliminates some low voltage and charging problems in all three models. Universal, PAR, Seaward (Hillerange), EDSON, and LEWMAR brands are used almost exclusively. Hood and Scheafer furling gear has been standard. Since 1990, Garhauer Marine, has supplied all of the topside rigging and running gear.

Apr 19, 2016
Macgregor 26s Otter Bay, Pender Island
looks like a great boat! I've have a few Catalinas in the past, and they never let me down. Looks like a great boat! good luck!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks, Alan, I stand corrected. The Mark II changed the cockpit, but the rest of the boat was pretty much the same. The Mark III is where they widened the cockpit, much like our Catalina 34 Mark I to Mark II change.
Correct, Stu. But here is another very significant change (to me, at any rate) that occurred sometime in 1988: They removed the plywood from the keel stub and went to solid glass. I used to own a 1987 MK-II, which was definitely a MK-II boat with the T-shaped cockpit, different style windows, etc., but it was one of the last models to retain the wood in the keel stub. Fortunately, on my boat it remained dry as a bone and I never had problems with it. I don't know exactly which hull number marked the beginning of solid glass, but I do know it was sometime during the production run in 1988. If I were looking for one of those boats now I'd sure look for a model where this change had been made.

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s172.photobucket.com/user/serpa44/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

Turn-Key
Bottom Painted spring 2015
Interior Cushions Re-Upholstered
New Autopilot
New Chart plotter
New Kiwi Prop
Roll-up Dinghy and Outboard

Measurements

 Length: 30 ft

Beam: 10' 8"
Max Draft:4' 5"

Engines
Number of Engines: 1
Engine(s) Make: Single Diesel
Engine Model: Yanmar 2GM
Engine Fuel: Diesel
Engine Hours: 791

Dimensions
Ballast: 3,600 Displacement: 8,775
Total Power: 18
Tanks
Fuel: 20 Fresh Water: 78 Holding: 28

Accommodations:

The vessel's interior is in pristine condition with perfect teak trim. The v-berth sleeps 2 with a large lewmar hatch, shelves and hanging locker and plenty of storage underneath. The large main cabin has two settees, folding dining table, nav table and propane two-burner stove and oven with double sink and ice box. Plenty of storage can be found in shelves and cupboards port and starboard as well as drawers under navigation station table and storage under settee. The main cabin has four opening Lewmar hatches. Aft starboard is a large bathroom with electric head, hot & cold pressurized shower and sink, single opening Lewmar hatch and a large cupboard and cabinet for storage. Aft port is a cabin that sleeps two comfortably with two opening Lewmar hatches, drawers, hanging locker and shelving. New cabin sole, new Raritan head, new hatches, and new plexiglass portlights.

Galley
Eneroyal King Propane Two-Burner Stove w/oven
Stove safety bar
Deep ice box
Double sink with cutting board cover
Pressure water
Storage shelves

Rigging & Winches:

Harken Roller Furling Headstay
Most of the running rigging replaced 2014 (Hi-Tech lines)
All lines lead to cockpit line stoppers
Self tailing winches with locking handles
Whisker pole with mast mounted Adjustable backstay
Barient: Two primary 24 self-tailing, Two secondary 10
Navtec rod rigging
Adjustable boom vang
Harken main traveler
Double spreaders
Split backstay
A second genoa halyard
Spinnaker and pole and lines and halyards and topping lift and down haul installed

Sails & Canvas:

New 2009 150% roller furling genoa; 140% genoa; 100% working jib; 70 Spitfire jib (like new); double reef main with reef lines, cunningham, and outhaul; cruising sinnaker with sock; bimini with cover and drop down side and rear panels; 13 foot boat awning; custom cockpit cushions; cabin cushions; winch covers; custom port curtains.

Brand new main and Genny from North Sails- 2009 Norlam fully battened mainsail and a 2009 150% roller furling low cut genoa
Original mainsail- 1988/good condition
Original Genoa- 1988/ good condition
Jib- 100% Excellent condition
70% Spitfire jib Excellent condition
1991 assymetrical spinnaker in excellent condition
Recent rebuild on the roller furler
Salon Cushions redone (2013)
New Bimini

Electronics & Navigation;

Signet knot meter with log
Signet depth meter with adjustable alarm
Autohelm 900 wheel mounted autopilot with remote control
Garmin GPS/chartplotter 440 ('07)
Apelco VHF with programmable channel select and cockpit speaker
Cybernet CMS 3000, CMS 3050 EQ, Quad with six CD changer
New Autopilot

Electrical System
3 Batteries (2 cabin, 1 starting) '08
Carry-on air conditioning, available but not included
AM/FM cassette and equalizer with 6 CD player and 4 speakers
Four 12 volt cabin fans
Four 110 volt cabin fans
Raritan electric head
Pressure water in the head and galley
110 volt power outlets in cabin
6 gallon water heater
Deck wash down pump.

Recent Upgrades and Additional Features:
This boat has been immaculately maintained. She has only had two owners and they took great care of her. She does not have a drop of water in her anywhere, rare for a 1988 cored boat.

Bottom Painted Spring 2015
2012 Roll Up Dinghy
2 cycle Mercury Outboard
She has new epoxy Barrier coat 2007
New fuel pump 2007
Re-cored rudder and transom 2007
Engine compartment relined 2007
All deck hardware, chain plates and hatches re-bedded 2007
New Chartplotter 2007
Spinnaker/pole lines, halyards, topping lift and downhaul installed 2007
Roller furling rebuilt 2007
Stuffing box repacked 2007
New running rigging 2008
New manual and two new electric bilge pumps 2008
New lifelines 2008
New electric bilge pump 2008
New batteries 2008
New Cabin sole 2008
New Autopilot 2009
New hatches 2009
New North Sales 2009
New Kiwi feathering prop 2009
All the plexiglass portlights replaced 2009
Barrior Coat and 3 coats of Trinidad SR on the bottom in April 2009
Tanks Cleaned 2010
Weems and plath clock, oil lamp, barometer and folding teak cockpit table 2010
New Bimini 2011
New Raritan Head 2011
Cabin Cushions redone 2013
Most running rigging replaced w/ hi-tech cordage 2014

The banks (2) only said they load average retail of $28,000. The ower wants thousands more. What do you all think? How much is this worth?

Last edited:

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
Well last week I submitted an offer that he rejected and came back 3k above what I asked. I decided to pass and keep looking. Today the broker said he will accept my original offer! Looks like I'll be getting it! So excited. I need a survey. What should I look for for known C&C issues from the 30Mk II 1988?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Serpa, are you oblivious to the fact that you didn't mention the brand of the boat you're considering, and most of your responders think you're talking about a Catalina?

Feb 26, 2004
Serpa, are you oblivious to the fact that you didn't mention the brand of the boat you're considering, and most of your responders think you're talking about a Catalina?
He posted in the C&C section, and I was among if not the first to make that mistake. My bad!!!

Bow photo with no roller. What are some suggestions to install one?
No offense intended, but get another boat with one that includes an anchoring system?;) I got hit by a C&C 32 while I was anchored last year and it was like getting hit with a sharp machete with that pointy V bow. OK, OK, apologies, not your fault. :wahwah::wahwah::wahwah:

ITWMB, I'd look at the line of Windline anchor rollers, figure you're gonna have to cut some of the forward toe rail off and also raise the base of the furler, which will require investigating the luff length of the furled jib if you have no means to raise it further on the extrusion if the luff length is long. You'll have to investigate the quality of the deck for the anchoring gear and backing plates for any bolts you use. I am not a fan of chocks, I think of them as line saws, so you'll also have to think of what you tie your anchor rode off to. In most cases, two bow cleats and a center cleat work very well. The anchor locker door is in the way, too.

You might want to consider what we call our Toy Bow Rollers, around the forestay like in the bow-on picture I posted earlier of our boat. That may be a solution for you.

Good luck, congrats on the new boat.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
While you were all talking about Catalinas, you passed over post number 5.

serpa4

Apr 20, 2016
Toy Bow Rollers.
Ill have to Google that one. Thanks.
Yep, this is a C&C 30MkII, not a Catalina 30MkII. Thought I was in the C&C forum, but perhaps everyone reads all posts that say 30MkII and the Catalina being a more popular boat...
My bad.