Potential Buyer of DS1

Feb 22, 2022
O'day '17 Day Sailer Long Beach
I'm looking at purchasing an older DS1 and need help. While I am researching and reading as much information about the DS1 I am hoping to find a expert to review this purchase to make sure I am asking all the right questions and looking into all the right areas to determine if this is a solid purchase. Please message me if you are willing and able to help me evaluate this boat.

The purpose of this boat purchase is to teach my eight grandchildren how to sail. Currently only two of them are old enough so I need this boat to be durable and last long enough to teach the other six.

Thank you in advance!

Ken

Feb 22, 2022
Forgive my ignorance - what's a DS1?
DS1 is the first version of the 17' O'day Day Sailer. DS for Day Sailer and 1 for version 1. At least this is my understanding from the researching I started on Saturday. Here's a fantastic review and general information about this sailboat:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I am not familiar with that particular boat but I would like to comment based on my dinghy sailing days and experience.

1 The boat must be self bailing. If you go over or just heel to the point where water sloshes over the side it makes an immense difference whether it just drains out or must be hand bailed. Auto self bailers that rely on speed through the water do not meet this criteria. Based on having owned both this is non negotiable.

2 If you are teaching youngsters I would have some main reefing capability. I would also have some mast head flotation.

3 The boat should be able to float on its side essentially indefinitely.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Johnb,
The DS I is NOT self-bailing, only the DS II and DS III were self-bailing.
I have attached a picture of the DS I (Day Sailer I) below.
The DAY SAILER in all versions (there were 4) is very stable when sailed like hte small centerboard boat that she is, and the DS has been used in many Community Boating programs to teach sailing over the years. If sailed with care, and I don't mean yo uneed to be "timid", just careful, one could go a lifetime sailing one and NEVER capsize. That said, the DS I can capsize, but it is not inevitable! If a DS I does go over, it is near impossible to recover without outside help as the boat will fill with water and may be hard to right. The later DS II and DS III being built with a molded-in cockpit and closeable cuddy can possible be righted by the crew as enough air is trapped inside to help keep her floating high. The newest version, the DS IV has a deep, non-self-bailing cockpit, but is even better sealed than the II and III versions against water entry in a rare capsize. The BEST advice is to always sail these boats with the mainsheet in hand, that way if a gust of wind comes up, one can instantly release the mainsheet spilling the wind before a capsize happens. If I were teaching youngsters to sail on a Day Sailer, I think I might manage the mainsheet myself and let them master steering first, then once they get the hang of that, maybe let them tend the sheet. The DS will sail quite well without the jib t ostart with as long as there is some wind, just raise the Cb a bit to better balance the steering. Below is a page from the 1971 O'DAY sales brochure showing the DS II, as you can see she floats pretty high on her side of capsized, the DS I might not float as high as the water would probably pour over the cockpit coaming. However, if sailed carefully...... there is no reason that a DS will be prone to capsizing in normal sailing, JUST SAIL HER LIKE THE CB BOAT SHE IS! I think "fear" of capsizing has always kept me from capsizing?

Attachments

Feb 22, 2022
Thank you all for your replies and information. As a youth my first sailing experience was in a Laser and I was self taught. I have no fear of capsizing a CB boat but I do fear sinking a boat. The Laser, as you know, can not sink. Even turtled it can be righted. I also fear scaring my grandchildren. I want so much for them, or at least some of them, to develop a love for sailing. I want them to be teaching their grandchildren how to sail and telling them stories about who taught them to sail. But mostly I just want them to have something as joyful as sailing to be part of their lives. I agree, mainsheet in hand is the golden rule for dinghy/centerboard sailing regardless of whether or not it is cleated. The unfortunate news is the seller significantly increased the price after our agreed upon price. So, now I am looking for alternatives while I consider whether or not I want to pay the ransom added to the price.

If anyone has any other favored training sailboats like the DS1 let me know. Thank you again for the replies. Very much appreciated.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If anyone has any other favored training sailboats like the DS1 let me know.
Where will you be using any boat you get?
Do you have to trailer it? If so, how far?
Can you leave it in the water somewhere at a dock for an extended period of time, i.e., the summer?
If so, you couldn't go wrong with a Catalina 22. If that's too big, try looking at their Sports series boats:
Or something comparable. From what's been posted, your DS1 doesn't look like a good choice for your "mission."
Happy hunting.

Feb 22, 2022
@Stu Jackson All good questions. I'll be sailing it in lakes in Utah. It's needs to be trailered and reasonable to rig by one person since my grandkids likely won't be able to provide much assistance initially. I'd like to train them in a dinghy (non-ballast sailboat). Would be preferred to have a self-bailing, self-righting 14-19' with a jib and mainsail.