Potential 310 Owner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2009
2 310 Long sault, Ontario
I'm looking at Hull #007 - My name should be James Bond :)

Couple of very basic questions but...

Where can I find the specs to build a Cradel for the 310? Rough costs?
What is the lenght of the port side salon seat?
Good supplier of parts for universal ( Potental water pump needed, hour meter, RPM guage, ignition switch), webpage, phone#?
Difference in sail area between in mast furler and normal full baten main?
Major cons of in mast furler? Pro's?

Thanks
Brian

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Are all the questions relevant?

I'm looking at Hull #007
Where can I find the specs to build a Cradel for the 310? Rough costs?
What is the lenght of the port side salon seat?
Good supplier of parts for universal ( Potental water pump needed, hour meter, RPM guage, ignition switch), webpage, phone#?
Difference in sail area between in mast furler and normal full baten main?
Major cons of in mast furler? Pro's?
Brian, You ask a lot of questions I am not sure we can all answer.

Don't have a cradle I use stands. I imagine you could get one from Catalina if you wanted one.

Would have to check on port side salon seat. Is it missing? You could probably get a new one from factory.

This is a good place a lot of folks use for parts- http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/universal/shopping/engine.php?engine=M25XPB

You can check the specs on sails at Catalina I am sure. I have the full batten main with a dutchman. I am not a big fan of the in-mast furlers although they are definitely very convenient. I would prefer to go to an in-boom furler to keep the horizontal battens, but life is full of compromises. More important is what does the boat have now, and are you satisfied with it. If 007 has a Dutchman and you want in-mast furling you are probably better looking for a different boat as changing the mast, sails, rigging would be pretty expensive for not a whole lot of gain.

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
I believe the biggest knock against in-mast furling main sails is that they do not maintain their sailing shape as well as horizontally battened main sails do. I inquired about in-mast furling to a local sailmaker, who told me he advises his customers against them. At least in his opinion, the potential problem with the furling mechanism is greater than the added convenience. I still like the idea of in mast furling simplicity, but hearing the costs (financial and otherwise) of the mod, I am more than happy with my dutchman flaking system.

When you ask about a cradle, are you referring to the stand used for dry storage? In my marina, we also refer to the lines that run from the aft pilings to the bulkhead of the slip that help guide our boat into place when docking.

For Universal parts, you can go to the Universal/Westerbeke website: http://www.westerbeke.com

Jun 4, 2004
Catalina 310 Tolchester
Hi Brian:
We purchased a Catalina 310, Hull #190 new in 2002. The Catalina Owners Manual has detailed plans for a cradle. I would be happy to email a copy to you. We also have an in-mast main furler. Used both in the past. I will never buy another boat without in mast main furler.. Unless you are a racer does anyone buy a boat today without furling headsail. Same reasoning....we have no problem with trim, loose footing is great for adjusting draft and really nice not leave cockpit to reef when it gets nasty. Also much easier to single hand with this set up. I have made many upgrades and adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.