Posts that start with: "Son, ..."

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
So, I've come to the conclusion that anyone who starts a post with "Son, ..." should be banned from this site for a week, there are rarely ever words following that intro that aren't flat-out condescending.

If you disagree with someone, more power to you, have at it. But don't use your advanced years to cast aspersions on anyone, that's a cheap shot and reeks of ego.

You're neither smarter nor better just because you're older, and you may be wrong about being older, too...

To misquote Doris Lessing: "As you get older, you don't get wiser. You just get more irritable."

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I've long noticed that people who sail, or rather people who captain their own boats of any type, will very frequently make statement which imply that you're a D*$%&#d fool if you head out without having 45 years of experience and knowing absolutely everything that's it's possible to know through having spent many, many years at sea, probably rounding Cape Horn. It seems to be a personality type that goes with boating, which is after all, an avocation which highlights personal responsibility. After all, the Captain is responsible for what happens, no matter what.

But you're right: not only is it annoying, it's sort of unrealistic that you should have perfect experience before leaving the dock. I just tune it out...

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
What about "Sonny"? Does that count towards a week's penalty too? What if the poster is actually addressing his (or her) son, in answer to a question he has asked?

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Not in my book. If all you have to make your point with is that you know better because you're an old fart, to hell with you (nothing personal).

And it is largely a sailor thing, more so than any other discipline I've encountered, weird stupid and annoying...

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
So, I've come to the conclusion that anyone who starts a post with "Son, ..." should be banned from this site for a week, there are rarely ever words following that intro that aren't flat-out condescending.
Now do the corollary for “Honey,” “Hun,” “Baby,” “girl,” “you girls,” ...

to a woman over 18
To a woman you don’t know

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Maybe this should go in the "sails call lounge" forum or the "site talk" forum and not in "ask all sailors". (note I didn't start the thread with "son") :biggrin:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I do firmly believe that no conversation that includes the likes of @Kermit or @Crazy Dave Condon could not contain “old son” in the context, and, the overhead included in a suggestion of a ban, would be a welcome addition to the thread.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I do firmly believe that no conversation that includes the likes of @Kermit or @Crazy Dave Condon could not contain “old son” in the context, and, the overhead included in a suggestion of a ban, would be a welcome addition to the thread.
Mr. @Meriachee calls me “Old Son” regularly. And in all honesty, I’ve never been offended by anyone calling me son. Maybe it’s a Southern thing. Like Sir and Ma’am. No offense intended nor taken.