post irma/harvey et al!

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
So I would imagine there are going to be a huge number of boats up for sale over the next few months years that suffered damage in storms.
Not that that means a bad boat, but it can .
Are boat sellers required by law to disclose storm damage? repairs(major)?
I know a good survey "should" find evidence of repairs, but not all surveyors were created equal!

Thoughts?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Good point. Frankly, you gotta be able to assess a boat quickly on your own. Cash. Assessment. Take the price and subtract repairs. However, prices you see post-storm will reflect insurance payoffs. Ask the buyer if he/she was paid for damages. How much? Which damage? He/she will probably reveal it. Any deceit can be grounds for fraud. However, they have no obligation to divulge it if you do not ask.
The good news is that most damage is easy to spot.
There will be plenty of great deals out there due to insurance payouts. I bought one after hurricane Sandy, and I made a great deal.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
there's something unsettling about making good from someones misfortune, especially with a boat, but...
That's what I'm looking to do, I have the time to make repairs, and do them right I hope, just need that blank canvas as it were

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
If they have been paid, you are making good of their good fortune. They get paid more than the boat could be sold for undamaged.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is about finding a boat with good bones. Cosmetics can be reasonably repaired. Bad hull is more costly. Bad design is forever.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
There is an online service that you can subscribe to for a nominal fee that will provide information if an insurance payout was paid on a damaged boat. Input the hull ID number & you will get a report on the cause of the payout; i.e., grounding, fire, storm damage. I don't recall that it provides the $ amount of the payout; however, it will state if the boat was "totaled." I used the service when I was actively searching for a boat.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
there's something unsettling about making good from someones misfortune, especially with a boat, but...
That's what I'm looking to do, I have the time to make repairs, and do them right I hope, just need that blank canvas as it were
Don't feel bad about it at all. When my boat was totaled after Katrina, it was a huge relief. My home was damaged & my business was temporarily closed. I didn't have the time nor desire to deal with a severely damaged boat. The local repair yards that are fortunate to still be in operation are overwhelmed with damaged boats; therefore, its very difficult to get into a yard and get repairs done in a reasonable time. The yards may be full to capacity and may not allow do it yourselfers to tie up their avaiable space.
When the insurance company does a total payout for the insured value, you most likely will get a larger payout than the boat is worth on the market prior to the damage . Most of us have our boats insured for an "agreed" value at the time of purchase and even though the boat depreciates over time in the market place, the payoff remains at the "agreed" value.
Interestingly, some insurance companies will total a boat and payout the agreed value and then allow the owner to repurchase the boat for a deeply discounted value that is negotiable. Otherwise, the insurance company will have to haul the boat from its present location to an auction lot where it will be auctioned for very discounted amount. After hurricane Ike that hit Texas several years ago, I planned a trip to see a late model boat that was in a salvage lot that was scheduled to be auctioned. I received a call from the insurance rep and was informed that the boat was repurchased by the owner. After Katrina, I knew individuals who were able to repurchase their smaller power boats after being totaled.
Finally, there are national auction companies that setup salvage yards in the vicinity of hurricane disaster sites. You can go to the yard on the auction date or in many cases the auctions will be listed at online auction sites. Check periodically on EBay and National Yacht Auction's sites in a month or two.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I used boathistoryreport.com on my boat. There was a lot of ownership history, USCG reports if any, and Insurance claims. A damaged boat can avoid detection by not being insured or USCG investigated. Beware of boats sold directly by uninsured owners.

So far, the damaged boats,[ which are of course the video focus], were open cabins or obviously left to total them or simply "I don't care attitude".

The surviving boats don't make news.
Jim...

PS: My boat had a clean 12 year history.:biggrin: