possible fix for cracked spreader?

Jun 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Jacomo
I've got a spreader that's cracked at the mounting bracket. I'm looking for replacements but, in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking a temporary fix would be to braze it using an aluminum brazing rod like this (Bernzomatic AL3 Aluminum Brazing and Welding Rods-334491 - The Home Depot).

I've done some aluminum brazing in the past and it's actually stronger than the aluminum itself. Just not sure about an application like this.

Thoughts?
bernzomatic-welding-rods-334491-64_1000.jpg
crackedspreader.gif

Jun 21, 2020
Hunter 26 Lake Jacomo
I have. I've submitted a ticket for help as their spreaders appear to be only for Z-Spar, Z-Diffusion, or US Spars. My mast is an IMI Isomat (Charleston Spars).

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I've done some aluminum brazing in the past and it's actually stronger than the aluminum itself. Just not sure about an application like this.

Thoughts?
Thoughts.... well it all comes down to confidence and risk management. If you are confident that you can fix it stronger than before... then go for it. But are you confident that the spreader will hold? Is the metal fatigued? Can you psychologically recover if your rig comes down while under sail?:yikes: And then there is the safety factor....:oops:

I don't know how to weld so I'd replace it... but for things that are not as critical... I have used JB Weld and a sander to make repairs in the past. But a spreader failing under heavy load would not end well so I'm not recommending JB Weld for this job