Possible C&C 30 mark 1 buyer looking for advice...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am looking at a 1978 CC 30 Mark 1 this week.

Fairly well equipped and from what I know of the next to last owner, it should be well maintained. All deck pénétrations potted for example.

The listing says it has an Atomic Stevedore but contradicts by saying it is 30hp ? Did they ship with Stevedores or is that a listing error ?

A boat in our marina had mast step issues that were fixed. Is that a common problem ?

Any other common problems I should be aware of ?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Don Moyer (Atomic 4 Guru) says that the Stevedore name was used on Atomic 4's going into Canada.. Since C&C was a mostly Canadian builder, I suspect the listing is correct.. He says that the difference is a intake restrictor to limit the Stevedore's power as required at that time for boats built in Canada in that size range. That restrictor is probably easily removed giving the engine the full HP of the Atomic 4.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Further to the Atomic 4 Stevedore difference, here is the exact quote from Moyer Marine:

The Stevedore is the name of the Atomic 4’s which were shipped into Canada. They are exactly the same as the “regular” Atomic 4, except for a small restrictor ring that was inserted into the inlet of the intake manifold, just above the carburetor mounting flange.

The reason for the restrictor ring was to limit the maximum HP of the engine, so as to comply with Canadian laws regarding the amount of HP (28 – or so) that could be used in sail boats in the 30-foot class. I don’t know what the current situation is with respect to Canadian laws governing the amount of power that can be used in which size of sailboat, but by this time, most of these restrictor rings have been removed from any Stevedore that has found its way back into the US.

In the event that you find this round restrictor ring in the mouth of your intake manifold, you can work it out with a large screwdriver and discard it.

After you remove a Stevedore restrictor, you may or may not notice any difference in performance. The power limitation was most apparent at the very high end of the RPM range of the engine. At RPM below approximately 2500, the restrictor had a minimal effect. – Updated: December 3, 2003

Thanks @kloudie1 for the tidbit about Moyer being the Atomic4 guru ! Lots of info on that site. It makes me a tad bit LESS apprehensive about the boat having one vs the Yanmar diesel.
(Gasoline flashpoint, fuel cost, repair parts. etc)

Repowering, would likely be more than the boat is worth.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I have known a couple of Atomic 4’s. Good engine and reliable when we’ll maintained. Folks forget to check the valve clearance, which is a bit different on a flathead engine. If ya do the gasoline precautions with venting, you’d have a fine power plant.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I owned one. Is there anything you want to know?
Thanks for the offer !
No unresolved questions so far.

Bought the boat, so any common issues are possibly now my official problem. :yikes:

Currently dealing with making a yard trailer road worthy. Ugh.

Crane/Haulout is Friday.:yikes:

Rest assured I will have questions for the previous owners and you and others on the interwebs. :)

I have a bunch of manuals to add to my winter reading

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Congratulations on the boat purchase!
I maintained an Atomic 4 myself in a C&C27 for 20 years so I'm quite familiar with them. Let me know if you have any questions about it. And Moyer Marine is definitely the first place to look for parts and information.
The 30 is a stretched out 27 and they were built pretty much the same. My boat did have water in the deck core under the mast step but it was repaired before I bought it. It's a moderately common problem on these boats. Also, the cockpit sole core can be a problem area, more likely if you have wheel steering.
The windows probably need to be replaced if they haven't already and check the keel bolt torque regularly.
Other than that they are very solid and well built boats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So you did it... Congrats @Leeward Rail on the new to you boat.

Lake Winnipeg will never be the same. Not now that you have your... Leeward Rail .... wet and the boat biting into the wind. :beer:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
So you did it... Congrats @Leeward Rail on the new to you boat.

Lake Winnipeg will never be the same. Not now that you have your... Leeward Rail .... wet and the boat biting into the wind. :beer:
Thanks.:)
The elephant in the room is water level at this point. Boats with 4ft drafts were running around at the end of the breakwater last Sunday. Need to do rain/snow dance.

• Ha
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I am looking at a 1978 CC 30 Mark 1 this week..........The listing says it has an Atomic Stevedore but contradicts by saying it is 30hp ? Did they ship with Stevedores or is that a listing error ?...........
The C&C 30 Mark came with a Universal Atomic 4 gas engine as standard equipment per this review C&C 30 Mark I (canadianyachting.ca). Big difference in hp between an Atomic 4 (30) and Atomic Stevedore (18.5) Universal Atomic 4 and Atomic Stevedore - everythingaboutboats.org so if they are quoting an Atomic Stevedore and 30 hp likely a listing error. Lower displacement and ballast SailboatData.com - C&C 30-1 (1-506) Sailboat compared to a Catalina 30 SailboatData.com - CATALINA 30 Sailboat and Hunter 30 SailboatData.com - HUNTER 30 Sailboat will make it a less comfortable sail in heavy air. This article is a very favorable review 1978 C&C 30 | Most Sailboats 1978 C&C 30 | sailboat details & photos for reference & daydreaming

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
When I was purchasing sailboats, including a C&C 30, an Atomic 4 was always a deal breaker.....wouldn't go near one!
Sailing for me is (was) always a relaxing time, with no worries.
Having gasoline in an enclosed space with children on board, even with blowers, was always a no-no.
Of course you will hear from those who believe gas engines in enclosed spaces are safe. They are entitled to their opinion. I can hear them hitting the keyboards now!!
To which I would answer, why do all sailboat manufacturers install diesels, without exception?
My advice, if you like the boat, and they are one of the finest C&C ever made, install a Beta diesel. And go higher than the 18 HP.
That boat is too heavy - it needs a 28HP, or thereabouts.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
why do all sailboat manufacturers install diesels, without exception?
Diesel engines are more efficient, you can go further on a tank. There are still a lot of power boats with inboard gasoline engines but they want the higher power to weight ratio. Diesel is safer but gasoline can be safe with a bit more care. You probably take care with the propane for your stove as well which is about as safe as gasoline.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
so if they are quoting an Atomic Stevedore and 30 hp likely a listing error.
As clearly noted in the first few replies, the stevedore was the same motor with a restrictor plate to reduce the HP to meet Canadian regulations at the time.
Most Stevedores have evidently long since had the restrictor plate removed. So they are full Atomic 4s now.
We have 4 in our marina.

FWIW: In regards to the C30 and C&C.30 comparison.. One was built as a cruiser. The other as a performance cruiser.
I would take the C&C over a Catalina 30 any day.

Having gasoline in an enclosed space with children on board, even with blowers, was always a no-no.
Do you have propane on board ?

Lord knows what children have to do with it.

Considering these engines are decades old and they haven't commonly exploded..

I am old enough to not be scared of wood burning fireplaces (both home and boat), Coleman white gas stoves, hiking in the wild away from any communication, bears, etc.

It all comes down to having functional brain cells.

Natural gas is much safer than propane. Yet propane is commonly used now, due to convenience in both use and availability. Safety considerations have nothing to do with marine propane stove popularity.

why do all sailboat manufacturers install diesels, without exception?
The big advantage of diesel is the fuel efficiency, maintenance, and versatility.
That is why it is common.

You can run a stove, heater and engine on diesel
About the only reason I would switch from a perfectly functional,.and more powerful, light, engine.

install a Beta diesel. And go higher than the 18 HP.
That boat is too heavy - it needs a 28HP, or thereabouts.
Agreed.
Not sure what was up with the small yanmar they had as an initial option on the C&C 30k1. Way too underpowered. Especially when powering into waves.

Getting a boat with an Atomic and repowering with Kubota/Beta, which has easy parts availability and much lower cost, seems like a good option for older boats vs buying one with an old yanmar with expensive and hard to find parts.

Diesel engines are more efficient, you can go further on a tank.
You probably take care with the propane for your stove as well which is about as safe as gasoline
Yup on both accounts.

Last edited: