Positioning of Tell tails on RF Main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I've been sailing my Hunter 49 with Roller Furled Main now for two seasons and I am finding it pretty difficult to dial in the mainsail trim. Currently I have vertical battens and no tell tails on the sail. I want to put on some tell tails but I'm not sure of the positioning

The question I guess is does the RF mast through off to much turbulance to make placment on the leech ineffective? Is there a better location or multiple locations?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Same

I put telltails the same as you would on a regular sail on my roller furling Hunter 36 and find that they did help me when trimming my sails just like on a non furling main.
Nick

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Shouldn't change the positioning just because it is a roller furling main. Hang them off the leech at about 1/3, 1/2 and 2/3 along it.
I put telltails the same as you would on a regular sail on my roller furling Hunter 36 and find that they did help me when trimming my sails just like on a non furling main.
Nick

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Go for it, you'll love having them. I tried to go without them for too long convinced that they'd be of no use or get torn off from rolling the sail. Found out it's not as easy to eyeball trim as you might think it is. Discovered I was over trimming, made the adjustment and couldn't believe the difference. I approximated their position based on where you expect to have battens. I think sailingdog has it right.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
What Dog said, that's exactly the way I got my stuff rigged and I know you will be really happy with yours set up the same way.

I have the stuff that is like some kind of nylon or rayon material. I have been flying these tales for about four years now and they seem to be wearing really well. They don't get screwed up in the slot when the main gets rolled up and put away.

I don't see how anyone can get a sail trimmed up properly without tell tales, on either the main or head sail. I find myself looking and reading the tell tales more than anything that I use for trim of the sails, and as conditions warrant, making the appropriate changes as the conditions do.

As far as your question goes, no, I doubt that you will find that the mast throws off any more turbulence than a non furling mast does, or not :)

Status
Not open for further replies.