Ports

Jan 7, 2022
MacGregor Venture 24 Phoenix
I have removed the ports, cleaned up all the framing, cut new plexiglass and am ready to reinstall. The original plexiglass framing is junk (the plastic/maybe used to be rubber insert I'm referring to, not the aluminum frame), to old and brittle to reuse, plus there is about a 3 inch gap between the ends at the bottom of the ports - did they do that on purpose for some reason it's the same on both sides.

I'm trying to find a replacement with nothing working so far after multiple trips to HD. I'm considering using rv/marine tape and silicone caulk (talking about aroung the plexi in the slot).

Had anyone redone their ports and found a good waterproof trim product that fits in the slot around the new plexi?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2022
MacGregor Venture 24 Phoenix
No fabrication is needed, just the plastic frame, as also asked by a commenter at the end of that article
"Ranndomwonderer2 years ago
Where does one obtain the rubber gasket material for port lights. I have a 1967 26 ft "Outlaw" O'Day and cannot find gaskets to replace the originals which have hardened and thereby not sealing. Thanks"

I'm going to use waterproof tape and silicone, which should hold them in place well enough especially since I went up 1/8" in thickness for the ports. I purchased the pieces from Amazon for about $30, 4' x 2's. They behaved well using a circular saw for large cuts and a dremel for the finishing. Very satisfied with the results, they should look great once it's all put back together.

Thanks for the info.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Old cars and trucks used to use a rubber gasket to hold the windshield and back glass in. Automotive glass shops usually keep some of this stuff around un bulk for replacing a trucks rear glass. It is easy enough to work with, you will need some paracord or twine to help you pull it through but that’s not hard (it does take 2 people) and after it’s set in there is a rubber bead that gets pushed into the gasket to add permanent pressure to keep a good seal.

Using rubber cement or super glue works for sealing the ends after you wrap the gasket material around the glass. I will try to find a link to some in bulk and post it here for you.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
And here is a video of a truck window installation.

this doesn’t show the pressure bead as the older trucks didn’t use them, but newer ones do. The pressure bead starts with the open end at the top (unlike the gasket which has the open end at the bottom) and you simply push it into the groove.

The tool in the video used to put the string into the gasket isn’t needed, you can just push the rope into the gasket by hand or with the help of a screwdriver. There is a tool also for the locking bead but I never used them as they made the job 3x harder because of the way it was supposed to be used. Just push it in with a screw driver or plastic bone tool.