Portlight screens...

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
For years we have made do with plastic-framed portlight screens.. that constantly fall out. We would prefer to make do with screens...that do not constantly fall out. Have you found a product that meets this need? I am referring to the smaller opening portlights along the hull.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I think you have Lewmar ports? If so, there is a new Lewmar screen that's better, still too expensive and installs from the outside, so it can fall out. But it is better.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I install mine ( new Lewmar design ) from the inside and have not had any issues with them falling out. I can also close the port without removing the screen.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I have the old screens and they install from the inside, snap into place and no issues closing the ports. Replased screens on the frames using spray on glue then trimmed the screens. It worked well.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I replaced the original design Lewmar screens on our then brand new (2009) Hunter 38. Got tired of every time I closed the ports the screens popped out. Even had a gust of wind come down the companion way causing one to pop out, bounce and go overboard. Sank like a rock.

The newer design has stayed in place a without issue since I purchased them in 2009.
Agree with Dave they are too expensive but then getting rid of the aggravation factor was probably worth it. And they've stayed put since 2009 so I cant complain.

With all Lewmars expertise and the general quality of their products and their reputation these screens are something they should be ashamed of as a manufacturer. That ridiculous little tab that's supposed to hold them in place is a joke.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
I have the Lewmar screens and have no problems with them. They install from outside; make sure the screens are fitting inside the frame work. If you have problems, call Lewmar; they have always been very helpful.