Portlight lense springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I am in the midst of replacing a Grey portlight lense. Is there a trick to installing those pesky little springs? Doesn't matter how many coffees I have, I can't get them in. May have to switch to something stronger.

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I did it several years, ago, so don't remember exactly how.

I am sure that you will chance upon the solution.

But one partial modification is that for my larger windows, I only replaced one of the two springs. One is enough to keep the lens open. Not all the way up to the ceiling, but enough. A problem I had with two springs is after the last dog was released, but still stuck to the gasket, sometimes, the port would spring open with a lot of snap and give me a good whack across the face!

Jun 3, 2004
'79 Hunter 33' HUN33190M79L Olympia
The way I did it was: Do it with the lens all the way up and open. Next, have a smaller diameter substitute pin to push through everything first. I used a little phillips head screwdriver that was the perfect size. It needs to be longer than the pin so you have something to grab. It freely goes in and out without binding.

Assemble everything on the substitute first. Then tap the actual pin through, pushing the substitute out. Careful when you come to the second hole, Make sure everything is lined up. Once you tap the pin through the second hole it will stay lined up the rest of the way.

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
I commandeered a buddy to do it for me! He made it look easy. We installed the springs in with the lense in the up position. Took off the pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.