Portlight Gasket Installation

Oct 1, 2015
Hunter Passage 42 Belmont Harbor - Chicago
Hi,
Can anyone explain the easiest way to replace a portlight gasket on my Hunter passage 42 in the main salon. Boat is getting drenched when it rains through this portlight and I have painstakingly tried to replace the gasket but I cant seem to get it to stay in the groove on this Beckson portlight.

Should I be using a special tool or a flat head screwdriver to help insert the gasket ends into the groove? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bob Barranco

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I find the beckson design to be a b#@&*! I used a combination of stretching, heat,ice picks,small screw drivers and wasted hours replacing six and one of them still will not stay put. Sometimes you have to cut the gasket at the seam, just make sure that the cut seam is at the top.
If there is an easy replacement it would worth putting in a different brand.

Oct 1, 2015
I find the beckson design to be a b#@&*! I used a combination of stretching, heat,ice picks,small screw drivers and wasted hours replacing six and one of them still will not stay put. Sometimes you have to cut the gasket at the seam, just make sure that the cut seam is at the top.
If there is an easy replacement it would worth putting in a different brand.

thanks for the information.........I am really having a hard time as you suggest.........changing out all the portlights though would be a very expensive and time consuming task.......so I will try ur ideas........why does cutting the gasket help and why does it matter where you cut the seam.......im new at this......thanks

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
They are a pain in the butt. I assume u read the instructions on their website? U can also call and discuss. Theyre happy to spend the time with you

Oct 1, 2015
Gaskets

They are a pain in the butt. I assume u read the instructions on their website? U can also call and discuss. Theyre happy to spend the time with you
That's great idea
Thank you

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Cutting the gasket allows the pre formed corners to align better. Putting the cut seam at the top helps keep it water tight.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2015
Ah....makes sense........thanks so much for your sage advice.......
bb

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I replaced my Lewmar Old port light gaskets, but I am sure the technique is the same, if the gasket material is spongy rubber (normally EDPM marine).
http://www.hatchmasters.com/index.php?cPath=207&&page=1
This company and its tech really know what to do. They had my exact window size and knew the gasket material and install glue.

Basically it is like making an O-Ring...
If you have the intact old gasket for length, it helps, but you cut your gasket slight longer, overlapping, so the cutting passes thru both ends to give an even cut. Using what is almost the same as Super Glue, you start at the top/center and press the gasket in the grove. You put a drop of glue on gasket and grove before and after each turn. Wait about 20 seconds, and continue around the seal. As the ends meet at the top, put a drop on each end to "mate" them together. Hold for 20.
The glue keeps the gasket from "creeping out".

On my boat, they put the mating point at the bottom where any water accumulates. Thats why put the mating ends at the top of grove.

I suspect most port light companies use standard gasket stock, some new ones are oval, some old ones have a grove insert.
You might call this company for more help.
Jim...

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 380 24 Alameda, CA
I just acquired '97 C-380 equipped with a BUNCH of Lewmar Old Standard opening portlights. It is Feb 2024 now, and I've learned Lewmar, Catalina Direct, Hatchmasters, Defender...you name it...no gots. Discontinued item.

I may be foolish to try this, but anyone out there have success "forming" their own gasket? I'm considering laying a bead of sealant and mic'ing it for consistent height/depth, allowing it to cure, trim w precision blade if needed, and set-for-seal. Risky proposition, I realize.

Other crazy idea is off-the-shelf automotive door gasket material I found in a couple sizes which I think I *might* be able to cut to fit. Maybe. MAYBE?

Help?
Lewmar gasket.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The original Lewmar Standards are no longer being supported. There is probably a hack that might work, but who knows. The good news is the new ports are the same size. I just replaced an old Standard 2 with a brand new Standard 2 it was a drop in.

Mar 28, 2011
Catalina 380 24 Alameda, CA
Thank you for the reference to these gaskets on eBay.

The seller page linked above has some good cross-sectional photography and illustrations of the three different types manufactured over time: old standard, new standardwith old pattern, and new standard with new pattern.

As with all these other dead ends, I am afraid if you click the selection box, you will see that the old standard gaskets are grayed out and in parentheses labeled not available.

So clearly, I have few options. Since OEM gaskets are nowhere to be found, I either replace all port lights entirely with the Lewmar new standard models of the same sizes, or get lab experiments going in my different port lights to see what I can conjure up and possibly attain a good water seal.

regards.

Jan 11, 2014
So clearly, I have few options. Since OEM gaskets are nowhere to be found, I either replace all port lights entirely with the Lewmar new standard models of the same sizes, or get lab experiments going in my different port lights to see what I can conjure up and possibly attain a good water seal.
When I was faced with the same dilemma I went with Lewmar new standard port lights. Surprisingly, I found West Marine to have the best price on the New Standard 2 Opening port.

Feb 27, 2024
starlight 35 Boltenhagen
made an account just to let you know, Boat window & hatch refurbishment | Eagle Boat Windows | England in the UK has apparently acquired the lewmar tooling for old standard seals. meanwhile the guy on ebay is getting them made overseas. more stock on order from him, expected in the next weeks.

aside: anyone have any favorite tools for getting the silicone out? i have about 8 linear meters to remove. pictures of your homemade scrapers most welcome.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
aside: anyone have any favorite tools for getting the silicone out? i have about 8 linear meters to remove. pictures of your homemade scrapers most welcome.
All I can say is it can be a beast of a job.

I found using a surgical scalpel (find on Amazon and buy a good sized package so you have many) - to cut the side seals the silicon could then be pulled out more easily. Not that anything is particularly easy on that job...

dj

Feb 27, 2024
starlight 35 Boltenhagen
@dLj excellent idea, I imagine I can grind to shape too. Ordered.
@dlochner thanks for the idea, have you had any experience with that? my understanding is that it doesn't much work on silicone and might attach the hinges, seals, and anything else around. Eagle specifically recommends _not_ to use anything, but I'm all ears about things to make this job less awful

Jan 11, 2014
@dLj excellent idea, I imagine I can grind to shape too. Ordered.
@dlochner thanks for the idea, have you had any experience with that? my understanding is that it doesn't much work on silicone and might attach the hinges, seals, and anything else around. Eagle specifically recommends _not_ to use anything, but I'm all ears about things to make this job less awful
I didn't realize the port frames were plastic. Debond is probably not a good product. All of my port frames are metal. So, I've never used any caulk remover on a plastic frame.

I have used Goo Gone on metal frames and a 3m product. One of them might work.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've not had luck with the solvents. They just seemed to make a messy job even messier. The surgical scalpels worked the best for me. I also bought small wire brushes to clean the flat bottom. I used about 1 brush per hatch, but I had pretty big hatches and metal frames. With plastic frames it might be less work on these brushes.

4458A22 is the Mcmaster-Carr part number for the brushes I used. They worked quite well for me, but again, I was in metal frames. I would think using caution, these should work on your frames also. These are 1/4" in diameter. My lenses had a large surface area - not sure how big the groove is in what you are doing.

dj