Portapotty vrs. installing a wastewater tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2011
Ericson 28 Galveston
I have a 27' 1973 ericson. The toilet needs to be replaced and is only set up for overboard dump. I am wanting to know the pro's and con's to replacing with a portapotty or installing a hold tank with a handpump style toilet.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I went through this dilemma a few years back on our O'day 35. When we bought the boat, the hoses and tank were permeated, the toilet was shot so I ripped it all out and installed a "temporary" porta pot until the stink left the boat. I bought the MSD 5-6 gallon version thinking I might just plumb that one in for pumpout capabilities. I never did plumb it in for pumpout but it's quite a bit cheaper than the expense of the tank, hoses and toilet. The other thing is that according to Peggie Hall's book, the 5-6 gallon porta pot is equivalent to a 25-30 gallon holding tank (sorry Peggie if my numbers are incorrect) or something close. The reason for that is that in order to properly flush to clear the hoses of waste, you need to use enough water to do that which fills the tank faster. This is not an issue with a porta pot. My guess is that on your 27'er, you won't have room for a 25 gallon tank. I'm struggling with finding room for that sized tank on our boat.

Feb 26, 2011
Ericson 28 Galveston
I went through this dilemma a few years back on our O'day 35. When we bought the boat, the hoses and tank were permeated, the toilet was shot so I ripped it all out and installed a "temporary" porta pot until the stink left the boat. I bought the MSD 5-6 gallon version thinking I might just plumb that one in for pumpout capabilities. I never did plumb it in for pumpout but it's quite a bit cheaper than the expense of the tank, hoses and toilet. The other thing is that according to Peggie Hall's book, the 5-6 gallon porta pot is equivalent to a 25-30 gallon holding tank (sorry Peggie if my numbers are incorrect) or something close. The reason for that is that in order to properly flush to clear the hoses of waste, you need to use enough water to do that which fills the tank faster. This is not an issue with a porta pot. My guess is that on your 27'er, you won't have room for a 25 gallon tank. I'm struggling with finding room for that sized tank on our boat.

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of researching porta pots now. If you have any suggestions on what to look for or what to stay away from I'd appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.