Portable Heaters (AGAIN!)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey all:

I didn't want to hijack the "Mr Heater" thread.

I ran across one of these at Walmart

1574198286968.png

They advertise it as a heater that fits over your stove's burner. And they are only $16.95. And I already have a two burner alcohol stove. Sooooo...
What say you all (yes I will be installing a CO detector).

I've heard stories of people putting clay pots over their alcohol stoves to radiate heat. This seems like a better way to go.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Would you leave a burner going without this heater? What in this heater alleviates CO accumulation? Notice the title says “outside”....

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Is there anyway to control the radiation ? Otherwise you may be too close on surfaces that could be problematic

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I would not use with a propane stove; its use would lead to leaving the stove unattended and should the flame go off the gas would spill into the cabin sole. There are stoves with thermocouple valves in the burners but I still like to keep watch on the burners whenever they are on. A Mr. Heater burns cleaner and has an oxygen depletion valve.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hey all:

I didn't want to hijack the "Mr Heater" thread.

I ran across one of these at Walmart

View attachment 172295

They advertise it as a heater that fits over your stove's burner. And they are only $16.95. And I already have a two burner alcohol stove. Sooooo...
What say you all (yes I will be installing a CO detector).

I've heard stories of people putting clay pots over their alcohol stoves to radiate heat. This seems like a better way to go.
I assume you are considering this as a way to heat your cabin and utilize an existing device to do that. The device I don’t believe would “increase” the btu output of the stove, it does however encourage a use of your stove outside it’s intended purpose, ie short term use while cooking when you are fully awake. NOT a heat source while you are trying to sleep.

I know you said you would install a carbon monoxide detector but burning anything that produces CO in an enclosed space is hazardous. Not telling you something you don’t know already. I lost a close friend from CO exposure, she went to bed and never woke up, so would appreciate it if you would carefully re-consider what you are thinking.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
These things can't make heat, they only capture and re-direct so it doesn't go straight up to the ceiling above the burner. Does the flame actually move up into that contraption to create radiant heat or is it only a heat sink?
Try it ; outdoors, wearing a bomb squad suit.
Dennis

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The Mr. Heater 9000 BTU is pretty amazing little heater and worked perfect for our cold sail the first time. Only $70 and a 4 pack of camping tanks was $10. It also seems it can be tied into the propane supply on the boat which would eliminate the extra tanks but add complexity and limit where it would be placed. We carried it from cockpit to cabin and repositioned in cockpit to help the person with the coldest needs.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, what happens with an alcohol stove if you snuff the flame, but leave the burner on? Not the same as a propane stove.
Alcohol burns very clean too. The CO emissions is nearly non-existent, from what I understand.
A small fan to help distribute heat sounds like a good idea.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
I would not use with a propane stove; its use would lead to leaving the stove unattended and should the flame go off the gas would spill into the cabin sole. There are stoves with thermocouple valves in the burners but I still like to keep watch on the burners whenever they are on. A Mr. Heater burns cleaner and has an oxygen depletion valve.
That is a good point. I have an alcohol stove on my boat that I've considered the "flower pot" heater idea but this seems like a better option.

Jan 19, 2010
NOT a heat source while you are trying to sleep.
Thanks!

:thumbup:

But maybe a good addition for when I want to watch Netflix on my phone in the cabin at night. Then hunker down in the sleeping bag for heat. I'm in Alabama so "cold" is relative.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What say you all
Inside a closed cabin, I am not sure what i would do with it.

Radiated heat is adsorbed by surfaces in line of sight.

Conductive/Convective heat, heats the air.
Jim...

PS: A good hand warmer, perhaps

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is always friction heat taken mechanically from wind,
or
New term: "over unity"o_O

The plus? No emissions. That's like getting Carbon Credits (modern day "Indulgences"), so we can enjoy a beer guilt-free.:beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
We all struggle to find new and inventive ways of doing things in a frugal manner. This is fine and in some ways great. Not such a good idea when repurposing heat producing devices. Fan not withstanding, it is dangerous. The annals of fire investigations are rife with radiational fire causes. During the oil embargo or the 70's many people installed wood stoves in their homes. And many of those homes burned down. Radiational heating goes through brick and steel. Air spaces are key in prevention. But simply blowing air across or thru an area will not stop or end the process. Curtail yes, stop NO ! UL rated does not mean fool proof. UL rated means safe when installed and used when in direct compliance with the installation requiements.