portable generators

Jun 6, 2004
- - San Diego
My boat is a Passage 420 2000 Hunder 42'. When I sail to Avalon from San Diego and at a buoy for a couple of nights, my house batters go way down. On my return trip, my electronics fail to come until I am about 2 hours into the return trip.

I do not have a generator. My question here is what others have done. The cost of a full-sized generator is beyond what I want to spend. This leads me to a portable. I'd like to hear from those who use them about the brand, cost, size, use, and other info.

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Apr 8, 2016
Beneteau 361 Clipper Garrucha, Spain
There are lots of suitcase generators on the market, you want 4 stroke, inverter type, if you have the budget you won't go far wrong with the Honda 20i

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
The bigger question is what is your energy budget and what is your charging system? How old are your batteries? Did they run flat or been damaged? Two hours to get enough juice to run our instruments doesn't sound right. Could be as simple as a loose alternator belt to dead or dying batteries. You need to give a more complete description of your electrical system. How do you monitor your state of charge and energy usage?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
There has to be something wrong with your charging/storage system. As soon as the alternator comes online you should be able to run any 12volt appliances (maybe not windlass or bow thruster). You don't need a generator yet, you need to investigate the charging issue. With that said you have a genset (inefficient), your main engine could be run for a couple of hours if you solve the charging issue.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Please do not buy a portable generator-- those things are now the scourge of both Avalon and Isthmus Cove, even beyond. Some experts here may offer you other reasons not to get one from a safety perspective. Not that I'm unsympathetic to your power issues; I've been working on my own for several years now. I did buy a portable generator for one long trip; however, I took it off of the boat shortly afterward and sold it this year at a boater's swap meet. They are not the solution IMHO.

In my opinion--the solution is a combination of decreased power requirement, solar combined w/ diesel engine charging, and strong, well-maintained, batteries. Make sure the fridge is insulated well at the door--e.g. replace the seal w/ a new one. Turn it up (warmer) to maintain 40 to 50 deg temp cycle. If you have radar, keep it on stand-by unless using it to range, or off when sailing. Do not sail much using the autohelm; mostly only when motoring. Use a lantern below at night with LEDs or fluorescent lights. ALWAYS TURN OFF EVERYTHING that consumes power but that is not being used, even the propane solenoid valve, etc., and the stereo. Turn off cell phones except to make a call so you do not have to keep recharging them, etc. Do not use appliances that require an large inverter. I think you get the picture.

Get a couple of solar panels of at least 85 watts, maybe larger, plus a battery charge controller/monitor. Charge all day, then "top off" with the diesel before turning in. Charge at 1200 to 1500 rpm. May sure your charging alternator is working as it should. Get new, true deep-cycle, house batteries if yours are more than 5 yr old, and learn how to take care of 'em.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
I want to second the negativity on the portable generator. The new ones aren't that noisy but I hate having gasoline on the boat. When you have a gas powered boat you have the risk but you have safety systems to deal with it. Bilge blowers, fire suppression systems etc. With a diesel boat most of us don't have that. If you do go that way strongly consider storing EVERYTHING that means generator and extra gas on deck.

Mar 19, 2010
Hunter 1997 376 Ventura, CA
I use solar power to make up my loss. Check your batteries and also your alternator output.