porta pottie type msd

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Best porta pottie 5 gal holding tank to pump or dump as needed? thanx, alan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie is the only one still made in the US. Available in both 2.5 gal and 5 gal model. I strongly recommend that you go with the 5 gal version for a couple of reasons: 1. It's "household" height...the 2.5 gal is like squatting on a bucket. 2. It holds 50-60 flushes..the 2.5 only about 25...hardly worth the aggravation and, in some areas the expense, to pumpout. I'm pretty sure the sbo.com online store has it in both sizes...get a quote from Dave if it doesn't show up in a search for it.

The 5 gal tank weighs about 50 lbs when full, which makes it a bit heavy to carry into the cockpit to dump over the side, and besides disconnecting and reconnecting pumpout and vent lines a lot of times--which you'd also have to do to dump the small one--isn't a great idea. The best solution if you want to be able to dump at sea would be a y-vave and macerator pump or manual diaphragm pump in the pumpout line...this would require a below-waterline thru-hull.

--Peggie

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Hey Peggy, thanks so much. I used this; Dometic - 965 Msd Portable Toilet 5.0 Gallon Parchment 15 years ago with my '94 26 and configured to pump or dump. Yes it was heavy but usually was able to pump it. My new to me 270 is behind my house and spotty pump out at best. I liked the 965 msd as if you kept it from over flowing, could unscrew the cap with vent and sanitation line and place the caps it came with for both and dump it without spilling. The 975 you mentioned looks better and love the push button flush, but can I pump or dump that model as easy? could not tell from the instructions on the web sites. alan

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Perfect timing as I just converted my Thetford 550P MSD from a Porta Pottie to having pump-out. It came with the "connection" for the pump-out line and the vent. Important safety tip, when running the pump out line, be sure you have enough for the nice gentle curve as the flush tank/seat needs the line connection to be at a bit of an angle to be able to be remounted. Pic below.

HeadInstalled.jpg

I ran it to a deck fitting above and then ran the vent hose out the side of the boat to a mushroom thru hull well above the water line.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The 975 you mentioned looks better and love the push button flush, but can I pump or dump that model as easy? could not tell from the instructions on the web sites. alan
I can't imagine why it would be any different. But enough people here have installed a 975MSD that you're sure to get a reply from one of 'em who does it both ways.

--Peggie