Port replacement or covers?

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
I've posted a couple of times about a leaking starboard window on my '83 C36. Considering more serious options: Replace the windows with OEM design ports, OR I've seen these windows that sit over the top of my old style aluminum frame type and wind up looking like the newer "cool" windows. I guess they wind up sticking out from the cabin side a quarter inch or so.

Anyone have experience with either solution? Good or bad outcomes? Insights are appreciated.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you considered asking at the C36 forum? IIRC, Mainsheet magazine used to have advertisements for those replacement ports.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
The "cool" windows have leak problems also. I have a 2006 C309 with those windows and one of mine leaks also. The 309 has I think the largest of this type port and it has a curve that seems to cause the ends to pop the adhesive. I'm having the boat hauled in about a week to fix the port and bottom paint. Hope the port can be fixed at a reasonable price. Reasonable for a boat that is. I will let you know how it turn out. Bob

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
leaking starboard window on my '83 C36. Considering more serious options: Anyone have experience with either solution? Good or bad outcomes? Insights are appreciated.
I also have a 1983 C36 #94.

I did my port side windows with the kit CatalinaDirect sells. It wasn't perfect and a small leak did show up a couple months after which was easily fixed with a tiny bit of 795. Was I totally happy - no. I read all kinds of posts on how hard it is to get the window frame back together - I was envisioning a nightmare like I hade with my VW-Fastback popouts. Where every one else was complaining about how tight it was - I had the opposite problem - way too loose between the rubber and the glass to provide any kind of seal. When I contacted CD - they did indicate that for a very short time they had thinner than normal glass - this is what I must have had. I used the rubber to frame sealant to also fill in the gap in the rubber to glass areas. This part has never leaked (and is where I was leaking before). I was probably a little stingy with the 795 when putting the frames back in the boat - and think one area the 795 was over the gap between the frame and the boat, putting a bit of sealant there later as I said earlier - fixed that problem. Do I want to do the other side?? I have the material. I think I'll wait till it becomes a higher priority. Hope this helps.

Les

drdanj

Jun 15, 2009
Hunter 290 Channel Islands
Les
Thanks for the information, I'll check C Direct.
Dan

Last edited: