Port Light Trim Ring Removal

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
It was suggested to me to use a guitar string. Preferably a bare one such as a high E or B string. That will cut thru the sealant and should effectively loosen the trim. Others will come along and give their solutions.

Moved to Ask All Sailors for better visibility.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Happy New Year KZW and all SBO Members!

I'm not familiar with your model boat, but generally you might want to look on the inside of the port area to see whether there are machine screws or similar fasteners that hold the trim rings together from the inside. If you can remove parts from the inside you might also get a view of how the port is sealed. I have removed some outside rings by using the thinnest painters' tool or putty knife in the tool box to cut and pry the ring loose from the sealant and the outside of the hull. Don't force too quickly. Work all around the edge a little at a time. Carefully applied heat with a heat gun might soften the sealant a bit too. There are solvents for some sealants, but those chemicals might have a very bad effect on the gelcoat, so I would be hesitant to use those.

Also, in the past I contacted Catalina Yachts for information and parts for a Catalina 27. That might still be an option for help from the source.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I believe the screws hold the port light frame and are not fastened to the exterior trim ring, but I'm no sure. My desire is to remove the trim ring, leaving the port light alone. It was my hope there was an easy way to remove the exterior trim ring.
Have any C-310 owners out there done this?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
The inside frame clamps the outside frame to the cabin sides, inside frame and lens are connected at hinges and will remove as one unit. The outside frame will be stuck to the cabin side with sealant. Here's how Lewmar describes it:
  • Easily fitted by clamping the cabin sides between inner and outer frame with screws provided that are fastened into the outer frame
Standard Portlight Opening | Lewmar

KZW

May 17, 2014
So the aluminum trim ring is only held on with some variety of sealant?

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
No, it's held on by the screws thru inner frame, the sealant is all that holds it on AFTER you remove screws.
And yours appear to be the stainless steel frames, not the anodized aluminum. Not actually a trim ring but the outer frame.
https://www.lewmar.com/node/11276

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Any chance you have a picture or drawing showing the screws?