Port leaks

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
I have a 2000 311 and one of my Lewmar opening ports is leaking when it rains or I hose off the boat. I thought it may be the new style screens I installed, but it leaks with or without the screen. I lubed the gasket with silicone grease, tightened the screws on the frame, still leaks. I can't see any way to adjust the pressure for the latches. Any suggestions?
Thanks Cliff

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!! If a Lewmar hatch or portlight leaks it is important to establish the leak path. Where the water finally appears in side the boat is not always a good indication of the leak path. The easiest way to trace a leak is to wait for a dry day and use a marina hose. Establishing the leak path may be difficult if there is a significant level of condensation on the hatch/portlight. My hatch/portlight is leaking. What should I do? | Lewmar

Possible leak paths are:
  • Under the lower frame. This is caused by insufficient bedding compound between the low frame and the deck, or the compound breaking down over time. It may also occur if the cut out in the deck is too big or the hatch/portlight is not mounted on a flat surface. This is a build or installation problem. In this case remove the portlight and rebed with Life Caulk or other similar sealant.
  • Between the lower frame and the rubber seal (gasket). This may be caused by the upper frame being distorted or a loss of seal pressure. Lay a straight edge along the sides of the hatch and also diagonally across the lid to check for twist. Also check the seal for dirt or damage. Try closing the lid down on a sheet of paper. If the paper can be slid out when the hatch is closed the seal is not compressing.
  • Through the holes in the acrylic used on some products to fasten the handles, hinges or friction levers. The handles have a standard O-ring under the plastic moulding on the outside of the acrylic. This should be cleaned and lightly lubricated with silicone grease.
  • Between the acrylic and the upper frame. (Not Standard portlights and Concept hatches.) This is caused by a breakdown in the adhesion between the sealant and the upper frame or acrylic. Try gently pushing the acrylic up out of the frame and look for movement. This type of leak is the least common.

• Helpful

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
The leak is in a port, not a hatch. It appears to be coming in between the frameless acrylic glass and the rubber gasket. I think if I could adjust the tension on the latches to make it seal tighter I could fix it. I don't see any way to adjust the latches.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I have had problems with small leaks over my nav desk on occasion. The first thing I do is to clean the gasket where it makes contact with the glass. When we lived in a really dirty area, the dirt and grime and grit accumulated very quickly and I was always amazed at how much dirt came off on the cloth that I would clean with. I use my screens in the summer, but I try not to leave them in all the time. I don't want the gaskets to get permanently distorted where the screens clip in. The screens can be really frustrating to install, but I found that I got better at installing them when I did it more often. I also found one port on which the coating on the frame was failing, specifically at the point where there is a seam on the bottom of the frame. A perfect location for a leak to form as water flows down the glass and into the seam in the frame. My ports are black, and I solved that issue with a piece of black Gorilla Tape across the seam, you can't see the tape at all.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I wipe off the acrylic and the gasket pretty much every time I close a port when leaving the boat. I always find dirt on both, which can't help the seal. If I noticed a leak between the gasket and the acrylic, I'd look at getting a new gasket.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wipe off the acrylic and the gasket pretty much every time I close a port when leaving the boat. I always find dirt on both, which can't help the seal.
In addition to wiping the seal & lens with water and soft cloth, as Tom advises, a few times a year I apply a very light coat of 303 marine & aerospace protectant on the seal only. Before closing the port, I let the 303 dry completely and wipe any excess residue from the seal before latching the port or hatch. 303 has UV protectants that prolong the life of the seals. Good stuff!

CliffM

May 21, 2021
port charlotte fl
The seals are probably original, so 21 yrs old. Defender has seals for the older Lewmar ports (pre 97). I also think that the new style screens distort the gaskets, as Dave said. I'll clean everything up and silicone the seals again, see if that works. Thanks for the help.
Cliff

Mar 28, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Kilaben Bay
I had this problem on my oceanis 37. If the ports are the same, there is a cap on the “end” of the larch that you can pry off with a small screwdriver. This will allow you to tighten the latch. It will also allow you to change the rubber ring washers in the latch. These were the source of my leaks rather than anything else.