Port hatch on Hunter23 help

Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
Does anyone have this “crack” in the port side hatch door? How do you fix it. I have no idea how this happened and it has been there for a while, maybe even when I bought the boat. This was not high on my repair list, because it doesn’t affect how we sail. but now it is coming up and any comments will be welcome.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like delamination and probably has been there since new. you can fill it with 5200 if it isa a bother to look at. Not a structural issue in that location. A better repair would be to remove it and lay it so the oopening is up. stuff some fiberglass in the hole and pour a bit of resin in there. Looks like it had been simply filled with a caulking stuff.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I would dig out the old fiberglass / caulk . I would run a thin strip of wood through my table saw so that it would barely fit in the slot.
I would soak the wood in expoxy and slide it place and paint it white.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
Looks like delamination and probably has been there since new. you can fill it with 5200 if it isa a bother to look at. Not a structural issue in that location. A better repair would be to remove it and lay it so the oopening is up. stuff some fiberglass in the hole and pour a bit of resin in there. Looks like it had been simply filled with a caulking stuff.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I am a retired Hunter dealer well versed in the 23 wing keel boat. Marine putty was used to fill in the void, sanded smooth and covered in gel coat.
I suggest using a dremel with a small rounded tip to clean out the void of any loose debri to the fiberglass and then sand that inside area. Clean either with alcohol or acetone.
I would suggest filling in with Interlux WATER TITE. It is the best two part epoxy that you can fill with but expensive. It drover night and you may have to apply several times. Then sand smooth with wet and dry sandpaper. I use WaterTite as it bonds the best.
Go find Krylon spray plastic paint cans. See if you can borrow a paint chart for white. Drys fast and is cheap.
That is my recommendation. In the future with your boat, address this in small boats under Hunter Owners forum. You can find a lot of information on your boat under boat information by going to Boat information/Hunter Resources/23/downloads

Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
I am a retired Hunter dealer well versed in the 23 wing keel boat. Marine putty was used to fill in the void, sanded smooth and covered in gel coat.
I suggest using a dremel with a small rounded tip to clean out the void of any loose debri to the fiberglass and then sand that inside area. Clean either with alcohol or acetone.
I would suggest filling in with Interlux WATER TITE. It is the best two part epoxy that you can fill with but expensive. It drover night and you may have to apply several times. Then sand smooth with wet and dry sandpaper. I use WaterTite as it bonds the best.
Go find Krylon spray plastic paint cans. See if you can borrow a paint chart for white. Drys fast and is cheap.
That is my recommendation. In the future with your boat, address this in small boats under Hunter Owners forum. You can find a lot of information on your boat under boat information by going to Boat information/Hunter Resources/23/downloads

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I recently used a flexible epoxy to fix some cracks. Total Boat 382660 Thixo, it comes in a tube that attaches to a caulking gun. I really liked that material as it should not crack like a normal epoxy under strain. Rather, it will flex. It was on Amazon but looks like they have sold out for now. Here is the link: Thixo 2:1 Epoxy Adhesive System

Apr 28, 2018
Hunter 23 LaCrosse WI
Thanks. New question. Do you have any advice on mounting a raymarine tiller auto pilot on the H23. It seems the attachment on the boat is right on the top curve of the side area above the gas locker. Attached is a mock up picture I am using to simu the auto pilot.