Poplar Island

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Have transited the Narrows but was not aware of that much deserving project on behalf of the wild life. I also spent some time at Tangier Island in the southern part of the Bay and I'm now left wondering why a project of similar magnitude is not being undertaken to save the homeland of many families that have resided there since the Elizabethan period. Perhaps a habited island creates a political situation over boundaries and jurisdiction that does not exist in a deserted island. In any instance the wildlife does need protection.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... I'm now left wondering why a project of similar magnitude is not being undertaken to save the homeland of many families that have resided there since the Elizabethan period. ....
There is presently a campaign underway to raise money for Tangier see wall.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Consider contacting Maryland Environmental Services and request that Popular Island be opened to visiting boaters. Poplar Island restoration is funded by US and Maryland taxpayers - open access MES!
the MES Poplar Island Tour Coordinator or call 410-770-6503.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There is presently a campaign underway to raise money for Tangier see wall.
Would be good if it came to fruition. Both islands need the help but like I said I was just wondering why an inhabited island gets priority over one that has been habited for a few hundred years.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Poplar island was not paid for by wildlife dollars. It was paid for by dredge spoil disposal from the Baltimore Harbor dredging, like Hart-Miller Island. Tangier is in the wrong place so there is no possible connection to that sort of funding. James Island has been kicked around for dredge spoil disposal, but I believe it is considered too far.

I believe there is a dredge spoil project on Smith Island, but it is very small.