Pop top struts - the best Mac mod?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I'm putting high value on this mod! we've only sailed the boat a half dozen times so far, but I was already hating on raising and lowering the pop top. The struts were a pretty straight forward installation and the top now easily raises and lowers with one hand. sure beats putting a throwable over my head and doing the squat and lift, hoping not to break my neck in the process.
The 2 struts and brackets were about $50.00 . I did shorten each bracket by about 1/2" due to the tight clearances between the PT tubes, but overall a very easy swap.
http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-G...psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

P1030443.JPG
P1030445.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
Did you order the mounting brackets as well or did they come with the struts? And were they the angled or flat brackets or one of each per side? I know, lots of questions but I am ready to order the struts and want to make sure I get it right, the first time. Like you, I am tired of lifting the hatch using my head and back!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I'm putting high value on this mod! we've only sailed the boat a half dozen times so far, but I was already hating on raising and lowering the pop top.
I agree..... that should be high on the priority list for those that actually spend much time on their boats. it saves the risk of a back injury and allows the wife or gf to be able to open and close it....
but for anyone who motors or sails the boat very much, my vote for the best ADDITION to the boat will always be a tiller pilot....

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Did you order the mounting brackets as well or did they come with the struts? And were they the angled or flat brackets or one of each per side? I know, lots of questions but I am ready to order the struts and want to make sure I get it right, the first time. Like you, I am tired of lifting the hatch using my head and back!
The brackets I used were the ones shown as options, on the same page as the struts. order two struts, two flat and two 90* brackets. I cut about 1/2" off the bottom of the flat brackets and re-drilled the holes, as well as cutting 1/2" out of the angles brackets and re-welding them to make them tuck in closer to the top. my pop top arms were really close together when closed (some I've seen are not as close) so the modification was helpful to me in getting good clearance. I had made up a simple dummy strut out of a piece of aluminum tubing and a chunk of wood dowel that fit inside the tube. this let me do a trial run of the range of motion and was helpful in placement of the brackets also.

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
The brackets I used were the ones shown as options, on the same page as the struts. order two struts, two flat and two 90* brackets. I cut about 1/2" off the bottom of the flat brackets and re-drilled the holes, as well as cutting 1/2" out of the angles brackets and re-welding them to make them tuck in closer to the top. my pop top arms were really close together when closed (some I've seen are not as close) so the modification was helpful to me in getting good clearance. I had made up a simple dummy strut out of a piece of aluminum tubing and a chunk of wood dowel that fit inside the tube. this let me do a trial run of the range of motion and was helpful in placement of the brackets also.
I understand all of your directions but I don't know how to weld. Is that step necessary or can something else be done to get the same effect?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I understand all of your directions but I don't know how to weld. Is that step necessary or can something else be done to get the same effect?
From what I've seen, each boat is a bit different, so you may not need to cut yours. I may have gotten away without cutting mine also, but it was just easier in my case.

Mar 20, 2012
if you get the correct strut number ( for length) and mount it between the "hinges" as shown, in a collapsed position, it will work fine.... there is no need to do a lot of scientific measuring, as the slot it has to fit in is limited and there is enough slack in the hinges that it just all works together..... just make sure they are mounted in the same spot on each side so the geometrics are even as it comes open.
I use 65lb struts, but others are happy with the 90lb struts.... my 65's will hold the top open except when a large powerboat goes by at the "wrong" speed and throws a 4ft wake.... but they should all have at least one leg inserted for safety to prevent someone getting their fingers slammed in the top if it comes down for some reason.... like if someone goes forward on deck and uses the open top to steady themselves, and closes by accident....

where they sell a large selection of struts, they will also have the mounting posts.... they can be purchased in nearly any style of mounting option you want.... I used studs, with a backing nut, for the lower, and angle mount brackets above......

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I wouldn't recommend the 65 lb struts on a 25. the 90lb ones give a really good balance of being easy to open, easy to close, holds well in the up position without the solid struts, but also doesn't tend to open by itself if not locked down. If I was to do this again I would use these exact same 90lb struts again.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Or send them to me and I'll modify them for you. easy for me to do.

Mar 20, 2012
I wouldn't recommend the 65 lb struts on a 25. the 90lb ones give a really good balance of being easy to open, easy to close, holds well in the up position without the solid struts, but also doesn't tend to open by itself if not locked down. If I was to do this again I would use these exact same 90lb struts again.
"I wouldn't recommend the 65 lb struts on a 25".
have you ever used the 65's to compare against?..... I have seen a boat with 80 pounders on the poptop and it seems rather stiff to close on the lightweight aluminum hinge system of the poptop.
and he had constant trouble with one of the mounts due to the strength of the strut and the dynamic loading and angle changing, which was probably due to a screwup during the install, and then there was the problem of the top closing down improperly because the struts pushed the top so far forward against the hinge hardware and away from its seat on the cabin top. so it had to be pulled back and down into into is seat in the rear when closing it. I can only imagine how the 90pounders must be... but it really is a personal preference in what one is willing to put up with to get the results they want, as there is always a trade off:biggrin:
I dont have either problem and can open and close it with one hand, which makes me happy with the 65's I have... but it still needs a prop rod for safety in rough conditions, but inserting that after its open is nothing....

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I haven't used the 65lb struts, but I did cycle mine through with just one 90 installed. If you don't mind installing the solid struts once the top is up I guess the 65s would be ok also. like you said… personal preference.

Feb 20, 2016
macgregor venture 224 Port Saint John
Awesome, been thinking about it for a while got plenty of lumps on my head .buying a set this weekend.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
This is on my list as well. Top came crashing down while pulling the anchor this weekend due to an unsteady occupant. Could have really hurt someone. I like the idea of the 65# and being able to utilize the supports. The height is critical since we use the cover all the time when anchored out. The supports will guaranty that.

Feb 20, 2016
macgregor venture 224 Port Saint John
In the photos where did you get the eyes that support the top frame they look like tubing supports that I use when installing water pipe on plumbing jobs.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Although I never made this mod to our poptop I see real value in it. My wife would struggle with ours if she tried it herself.
We did however have our poptop cover modified for ventilation. We had the plastic removed and screening sewn in. Then made plastic window flaps so they would open. Then we had matching privacy panels that could lift open or close.
The new owners probably think it was original. It was the way the top should have been made to begin with.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
This was the hands down best mod on our boat (which will be for sale soon) and requested by the Admiral. She loved them...

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Same struts for the classics where the pop top goes forward? After mine falling on my head last week. It's time! (My mast latch wasn't engaged) but really no one else can seem to raise it and latch it.