pop top mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

raffo

Aug 23, 2010
macgregor 198826d cooperstown ny
I found that pushing the pop top up with one hand and then holding it up with my head and then raising the pin in the channel and then trying to thread the wing nut thing into the pin thing and hoping for the best,was getting me down. So, I finally drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the mast at the height of the hole in the pop top(when raised) and placed a 3/8 inch stainless bolt with a nylon nut to secure it to the mast. Now when I raise the pop top it lines up with the bolt threaded end, and I turn a brass wing nut on and secure it in one easy motion. I only hope I didn't weaken the mast with the hole.. So far it works very well. The bolt was stainless 61/2 inch long.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Hey that sounds good, post a picture or two.

I've been pretty lazy about ours...

... It came with a bracket in the channel and the PO had put a screw in that holds the bracket from falling down. The bracket has a bolt sticking out that I had to put a wingnut on also and hated that.

I welded a couple nuts together and screwed a long 1/4 inch bolt into one side and into one nut. The other side screws onto the bolt on the bracket. You can see it at the top arrow. The 1/4 inch bolt acts as a handle and is easier to hold onto than the wingnut.

It works ok, but isn't pretty. I still just push it up there and screw the nut/bolt combo on. When I get older yet and weaker I'll probably add gas struts to the poptop like others have.

I also have ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/rigging-12.html

... a bolt like you have in the mast crutch that is used with the boat on the trailer and use it to hold the pop-top up while on the trailer.

I sure wouldn't loose any sleep over thinking the mast isn't still as strong,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

raffo

Aug 23, 2010
I have seen gas strut mod discussions before. Will that instillation then bypass the need to attach the top to the mast so as to make it ridgid at that point? I probably will need that addition soon and at that point I am guessing will need the stout attachment point still? Do you think? raffo

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
If you want your pop top to be rigid, then yeah, you need to attach it at the mast. However, we never attach it anymore. If I remember right, I have two 65 lbs gas struts that hold the pop top in place. I have lost my balance, grabbed the pop top, had it start to return to stow position, let the pop top go, and it extended back in place against the mast.

If I did not have the gas strut assists, my wife would not be able to put the pop top up. Now, she sits in the companionway with her feet on the cabin step, starts to lift the pop top, and the whole thing extends up. I believe she uses the sliding hatch handle to do this...

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Shifting the discussion slightly, has anyone made/considered a hard dodger to replace the pop top in cooler weather?

Jeff

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Shifting the discussion slightly, has anyone made/considered a hard dodger to replace the pop top in cooler weather?

Jeff
Not sure if you are talking permanent or exchangable, but I wouldn't want it in place on a trip on the water. We have been out in low 30 high 20 deg. temps at night. On those times we leave it down at night and the boat stays warmer, usually about 10 degrees warmer than outside. The water temp also factors in.

In the morning we fix coffee and the boat warms inside quickly. Any time the ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-13.html

...stove is running I'll push the pop-top up enought at the front to put a piece of 2 X 4 under it and also pull the top hatch back to make sure we have plenty of ventilation. Even with those opening the stove heats thing quickly. Did I mention we also have long underwear on ;).

Ruth modified our ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-2.html

...pop-top cover a lot and now we hardly ever get air in under the sides, We can open the screened front when needed for air. Put a screened back on it and also extended the back down so that we don't get water/air in there by the companionway hatch. The above mods have helped also in being comfortable with the pop-top up in bad weather.

Now here is a link to one person who did raise...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/misc-pics-4.html

the cabin top,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Yes Jeff I have thought a lot about a dodger mounted on top of the pop top. One would not be able to extend the pop top surface while the dodger was in place, of course. If the dodger was to be left in place while stowed, it would have to clear the bottom of the boom as well.

On the other hand, I have sailed my boat in very high winds with the pop top up, canvas on and off, and it worked out well. I don't recommend doing this as a lot of water could possibly come into the boat.

Were you thinking of a pilothouse? I saw a picture on the web somewhere of a Mac 25 with a built up pilothouse.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I noodle about this off and on, as the channel to Catalina can be cold and with Santa Ana's in the fall. With auto helm, one could steer from inside and not worry "too much" about a knockdown, especially if one could handle the sheets from inside.

Jeff

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
what I mean is that you could be out of the wind with the canvas on your pop top, bigger than a dodger....

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
I would expect the probability of a knock down to be greater in high seas, which is not the time to rely on canvas for keeping water out. I've had a capsize in heavy weather, and handling/bailing a boat in high seas and cold is dangerous (40 years ago).

My interest is in going to Catalina more safely in the winter, and I hate foulies.

Jeff R.

raffo

Aug 23, 2010
To get back to safety and pop tops for one last moment.. I guess my need is safety first. I fell the other day just on the wet walkway to my dock slip!! I just know if I was looking for a hand hold as I slipped on the deck,and reached for the pop top and it slipped, with my luck I would be overboard!!I am looking to also put handrails on the pop top as I think i remember,the Mac 25 has.. Also another BIG safety addition in my mind would be some kind of toe rail added to the sides. Perhaps a one inch by two inch high oak or teak strip added would be ok. To go back slightly, those hand rails are still made by the original vendor for Macgregor boats.. Any ideas anyone???Thanks Raffo. Ps to back up again, the original rails are installed just to starboard and port of the pop top....

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
If you want your pop top to be rigid, then yeah, you need to attach it at the mast. However, we never attach it anymore. If I remember right, I have two 65 lbs gas struts that hold the pop top in place. I have lost my balance, grabbed the pop top, had it start to return to stow position, let the pop top go, and it extended back in place against the mast.

If I did not have the gas strut assists, my wife would not be able to put the pop top up. Now, she sits in the companionway with her feet on the cabin step, starts to lift the pop top, and the whole thing extends up. I believe she uses the sliding hatch handle to do this...
I'm just about to install a couple of gas struts on my 26D pop top. I have two 45 lb ones. I have several end attachments and marks all over the place. Need help in locating a good place for them Could you post a photo showing how you fitted yours.
Thanks
Mic

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Mic I just put the boat to bed, ready to travel with a cockpit and pop top cover that goes down the road. I'll get some pics tomorrow when I splash the boat.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
To get back to safety and pop tops for one last moment.. I guess my need is safety first. I fell the other day just on the wet walkway to my dock slip!! I just know if I was looking for a hand hold as I slipped on the deck,and reached for the pop top and it slipped, with my luck I would be overboard!!I am looking to also put handrails on the pop top as I think i remember,the Mac 25 has.. Also another BIG safety addition in my mind would be some kind of toe rail added to the sides. Perhaps a one inch by two inch high oak or teak strip added would be ok. To go back slightly, those hand rails are still made by the original vendor for Macgregor boats.. Any ideas anyone???Thanks Raffo. Ps to back up again, the original rails are installed just to starboard and port of the pop top....
I made mine and use them all the time when going fwd. you can just see them in this picture.

I agree toe rails would be great and are in the works.

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
Mic I just put the boat to bed, ready to travel with a cockpit and pop top cover that goes down the road. I'll get some pics tomorrow when I splash the boat.
Next season is fine.
I'm mooored for a few more weeks then its out. Thanks for the reply
Mic

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
gas struts
Many thanks Luke. I was close but no cigar. Never tried the end aft fittings below the hatch line.

What length (closed / open) are your struts?

Cannot wait to try mine out.

Reading your sail adventures on another thread.

Your heeling photos once shown to my wife keeps me as a solo sailor. Send more.

I was on lake OK for a few days. Morning sails had me at close to 15 deg heel and I must have been at hull speed. On a port tack I kept hearing a bumping. A small back rest fell over board and I went autimatically into a MOB manouver. On retrieving the back rest which had sruck to my back before going over board when I got up to tack. It was at this time I noticed that the swim steps where still down after the previous nights swim. Bumping cured, mind still needs help.

Thanks again Mic

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
oreana123 said:
Yes Jeff I have thought a lot about a dodger mounted on top of the pop top. One would not be able to extend the pop top surface while the dodger was in place, of course. If the dodger was to be left in place while stowed, it would have to clear the bottom of the boom as well.

On the other hand, I have sailed my boat in very high winds with the pop top up, canvas on and off, and it worked out well. I don't recommend doing this as a lot of water could possibly come into the boat.

Were you thinking of a pilothouse? I saw a picture on the web somewhere of a Mac 25 with a built up pilothouse.
I keep meaning to ask you if you recall where you saw those photos...I've seen a canvas "pilothouse" but not a hard one.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.