Pop Top Gas Spring Addition

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Washington, NC
This is one of the simplest and inexpensive improvements we have done. The weight of the pop top isn't unbearable but my wife will make me lift/lower 9 time out of 10 because it's heavy and cumbersome.

Two 80lb 9-15" gas springs later and I can't lift it up with two fingers, rests with light pressure on the mast and makes it extremely easy to get the pop top lock in place.

Apr 28, 2020

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Nice! I'm still using my head to hold it up - while locking to the mast. This might be an improvement.

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
If you don't mind.....How did you determine placement of the gas springs?

Apr 28, 2020
If you don't mind.....How did you determine placement of the gas springs?
Based on the springs, you know their full extended dimensions (which in my case was 15"). I tried to get them reasonably close to the front struts. So I picked my mounting location on the pop top first, clicked the gas spring in and found where it lined up with the cabin top base when the pop top is all the way up. I marked that location, closed the pop-top and confirmed I had enough travel in the gas spring (ended up being around 11inches between mounts when closed).

Apr 28, 2020
I will add, that this is better if you can do it with the mast lowered, (as we did) and have a some extra room at the top end. when fully extended, the pop top actually goes beyond the mast, that way, when the mast is raised, the gas springs are pushing the pop top into the mast a bit (no need for the pop-top lock to hold it against the mast anymore, although we still lock it for extra safety.)

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
Sounds simple enough...Thank you. Our mast is off the boat now so it is a good time to do it.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
Wow -- perfect timing. I just installed my kit from CD today. Unfortunately, it did not go as planned. Not at all.
Started putting the kit on. Darn, my tube of 4200 is solid as a rock. Thankfully the hardware store in town carries it. Ok, now we're set. Get all the pieces put together, measure twice. Mount the brackets. Everything looks good. Close the top..... it won't close. Hmm. Did I do this right. Yep. Push a little harder. Ok it closed, but why is my top off center. Hmm. Ripped the screws that hold the aluminum pop-top supports right out of the pop-top. Now what do I do.

Ended up pulling all of the remaining screws out and taking the cabin roof off. Flipped it over and re-drilled all the screw holes a little larger. Then I filled them all with epoxy. Kept filling and tapping on the pop-top to get all the air bubbles out. It's currently sitting in the yard drying. Tomorrow I'll try re-drilling the holes and putting the screws back in... Fingers crossed.

Attachments

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
And It's fixed. Filling all the holes with epoxy and letting it cure overnight did the trick. Re-drilled all the holes, inserted the screws and I have a functional pop-top again. Also installed 4 of the new-style lock downs. Mine didn't come with any. Only gravity was holding the pop-top down.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Dammit man! LOL ... And no previous owner could be bothered with this, ever. I'm speechless.
perhaps why the damn thing is so heavy?

Shawn, tip....keep your opened 4200 in the fridge, it won't harden up....

Last edited:

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Well..... in his defense he did include the gas shock kit and 4 new hold-downs from CD with the boat. So, at least I had them.

@rpludwig -- thanks, I'll definitely try that. I found acetone removes the stubborn bits from your fingers as well