pop top canvas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2011
Macgregor 26s Cape coral fl
Looking for a 25C pop top canvas. Anybody selling theirs? Any ideas?

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Good Luck! Mine is trashed from weather and the PO's. I had a quote of over $500 from a local shop. I looked for a used one with no luck.
I just made my own Head Sail Cover out of SunBrella with a stock Sears Kenmore machine. Thinking I might try to make my own using the old one as a templet.
We have a member, Oceana123 that makes them also. He does great work!

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
FWIW, the 25 and 26 are very different. covers. you need the 26C? or 25?

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
sailright.com
They have instructional videos that will help you make your own. Or they can make one for you.
I found a $25 singer machine and it's sewn all my interior and exterior cushions. I was the one running it. YouTube is great for "how to sew...."
Good luck.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
sailright.com
They have instructional videos that will help you make your own. Or they can make one for you.
I found a $25 singer machine and it's sewn all my interior and exterior cushions. I was the one running it. YouTube is great for "how to sew...."
Good luck.
I have to agree. I bought a 1940s solid metal singer for $50. Will go through 4 layers of Subrella. In the process of making new cockpit cushions. Learned how on the sailright videos. So far they look great. Will be adding zippered screens to my windows on my poptop cover as well. You need some ventilation in the summer. Also learned how on the sailrite site.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Yep Bill it right on the 25 vs. 26. Your boat facts say 26S, but the post says 25 so we are confused.

Ruth modified our stock one and it works very well, but she keeps saying she would possible want to make a new one at some point from scratch (not now). She did the additions with sunbrella using...

..an older Singer 99 (didn't get it as cheap as the others, but don't know if they have the same model) but we now have a Sailrite machine.

The opening windows with screens have been a big help and the side skirts are crucial to keeping the weather out when the wind is blowing.

There are a number of construction pictures here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-canvas/canvas-index.html

...first project.

Good luck,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Mine is in pretty good shape and I do use it. Not to get off topic but it seems to me there should be a better way to hold the bottom of the vertical flaps in place. Unless I am doing it wrong, I have a rope at each corner that seems to tie to some little loops (like mini fair leads). It's almost as if the bolt rope is expected to be enough weight to block them from flapping. Has anyone modified the original cover to do a better job?

Attachments

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Mine is in pretty good shape and I do use it. Not to get off topic but it seems to me there should be a better way to hold the bottom of the vertical flaps in place. Unless I am doing it wrong, I have a rope at each corner that seems to tie to some little loops (like mini fair leads). It's almost as if the bolt rope is expected to be enough weight to block them from flapping. Has anyone modified the original cover to do a better job?

I haven't found a need to add anything yet. My poptop does not attatch to the mast like most others. I have rear braces that hold it up so its not as high as the stock ones. This leaves some slack and lays flat on the deck. There is no gap along the bottom. Still lots of headroom. I'm 6'2". I've been in 20 knt wind and rain and nothing came in. I keep the tie ropes tight.
If I find I need to add something I would do what I did for front hatch screen. I made a roll out of sunbrella and filled it with sand on the bottom of the screen. It sits in the water drainage grove perfectly.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Hi Doc My pop top cover has a series of snaps to hold it down. I have added more snaps to secure the pop top, and it works just fine in high winds. If you look, you can find male snaps on self tapping screws. I would set these type of snaps with some kind of adhesive for structural strength and sealing. Very inexpensive snap setters for the female end can be found at JoAnns fabric, small quantities of snaps from Sailrite

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Hey CHP I think your poptop holder has been removed. I see from the picture of it up there is a hole in the middle at the front. That's ware the slidey thing screws in. The slidey thing is in the track on the mast on my boat.
My cover has snaps on the bottom. No front windows and cheap side windows. ( I went to get new window plastic and had no success finding any of it. I plan another vallient attempt this saturday.)
The snaps on my top seen to be OK. But I have got some more to put in. Right now they are about 1' apart.
1st pic is inside looking at the mast. Note slidey thing.

Attachments

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Hey CHP I think your poptop holder has been removed. I see from the picture of it up there is a hole in the middle at the front. That's ware the slidey thing screws in. The slidey thing is in the track on the mast on my boat.
My cover has snaps on the bottom. No front windows and cheap side windows. ( I went to get new window plastic and had no success finding any of it. I plan another vallient attempt this saturday.)
The snaps on my top seen to be OK. But I have got some more to put in. Right now they are about 1' apart.
1st pic is inside looking at the mast. Note slidey thing.
Yup the attachment is still there for mast attachment. The PO put on the support legs because they used to do the Trent cannal every year. The mast would be down so you would need a different way to keep the top up.
If you are looking for a local place to get heavy vinyl window material try TJs top shop. They are in Midland. I order all my supplies there. Delivery is only $20 canada post and arrives in about 3-4 days.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
.. The mast would be down so you would need a different way to keep the top up...

If the mast is down, like on the road on the trailer, the pop-top on ours attaches to the mast support we use on the road. Our rear support is higher than when we bought the boat. We camp in the boat on the road so wanted this option and the support is there anyway. A simple bolt through it works like the one does on the mast and has a nut on the pop-top side so is always in the support.

I'll say one thing for the side flaps like above I can have the cover on or off in about a minute as you just snap the through line to the front eye strap, right arrow and tie it off in the back. No snaps to mess with and you don't need to be drilling holes in the top to secure them. We sleep on the boat every night in all kinds of weather and it works great. The rear extension ...

...also keeps the water from coming in down the companionway, the stock one didn't, and can be held up to the bimini so you can go back and forth to the cockpit in light rain.

Also the screens front and rear give you ventilation. Since the above picture was taken we also added inside flaps to the sides and front and short sections on either side of the companionway,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Nov 19, 2011
I have rear braces that hold it up so its not as high as the stock ones. This leaves some slack and lays flat on the deck. There is no gap along the bottom. Still lots of headroom. I'm 6'2". I've been in 20 knt wind and rain and nothing came in.
I really like those rear supports. I see you have them connected to the rear uprights at the top, where did you attach the bottom? Where do they stow? It seems to me that if I could stop the pop top 6" from the mast, it would actually be a better position.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I like the the way most of the later model canvas covers are made. it seems like it is a better and easier method for building and using.... it covers over the entire pop top and then snaps down...
Mine (shown in the photo) is a bit of a pain to snap to the under side of the pop top, then snap it to the coachroof.... I had to replace the snaps at the corners with twist-loc fasteners because the upper corners kept popping loose if the pop top was bumped......

Attachments

Nov 19, 2011
I guess each has its advantage, I still think the older ones look better (lift up and back as opposed to forward.) yours has that swept back look where the forward ones aren't pleasing to the eye. Just my perspective.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I guess each has its advantage, I still think the older ones look better (lift up and back as opposed to forward.) yours has that swept back look where the forward ones aren't pleasing to the eye. Just my perspective.
I think he is talking about the way the cover goes on not the way the pop-top goes up but I might be wrong.

I like the the way most of the later model canvas covers are made. it seems like it is a better and easier method for building and using.... it covers over the entire pop top and then snaps down...
Mine (shown in the photo) is a bit of a pain to snap to the under side of the pop top, then snap it to the coachroof.... I had to replace the snaps at the corners with twist-loc fasteners because the upper corners kept popping loose if the pop top was bumped......
One bad thing about the D and S's pop-top is the slope at the back and keeping rain out there if you want to have it open some and the reason for us extending that rear flap as I mentioned earlier.

I agree with the above and would not want to mess with snapping the cover both top and bottom. I don't think they all came with the bottom snaps. Ours had the bolt-ropes down there and I personally prefer those.

With the cover whole (has a top) you just throw it over the top and attach the two ropes and you are done. To put it away I undo the ropes and fold it up on top of the pop-top and hand it to Ruth below. You can do either under a couple minutes.

I think if I was going to add snaps I'd think instead of the common sense fasteners. Sooner or later it seems the snaps pull out of the fabric. A number of them had ripped out of the bottom of the dodger on the Endeavour. When I made the new one...

...I used the twist common sense fasteners where it attaches to the boat and it is so much quicker to put on and off and you aren't pulling on the fabric to get a snap off,

Sum

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Snaps can really be a weak point if they are not backed up by something like 2 inch wide strapping sewn on the inside perimeter of the top. Snaps are inexpensive and easy, Macgregor trademarks!:)

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
yea, its all perspective... and i did mean about the way its all made as a one piece unit... just throw it up there, unfold it and let the sides hang down.... and no worries about it coming unsnapped from the poptop..

Nov 19, 2011
yea, its all perspective... and i did mean about the way its all made as a one piece unit... just throw it up there, unfold it and let the sides hang down.... and no worries about it coming unsnapped from the poptop..
I'm with ya, I sorta wish there was a dodger and cockpit cover like bwy sells for the X and M for the older models

Status
Not open for further replies.