Poor Boat Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2010
Beneteau 373 St Andrew Bay Yacht Club
Anyone having problems getting the dealer or Beneteau to do work on their vessels? Our boat is four years old and the keel is taking on water, rusting, chipping away. I have called, emailed and nothing. My husband is almost 70 and I bought it for him thinking good investment. We have encountered nothing but problems and no help from anyone. Is it a WOMAN thing or an ELDERLY thing thinking they can get by with it. We have caps on water tanks that were cracked and repaired with a rubber glue that caused water to come in to the vessel. Gel coat cracks, window leaks the list could go on.

A $200K boat should not fall apart, that I know.

Any help anyone can give we would be thankful for.

Panama Girl

Attachments

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I am familiar with the 373 and I own a 393. I have no relationship with Beneteau, other than as an owner.

Looking at your pix, I am very surprised at the condition of your 4 yr old boat. Did you buy the boat recently or have you owned it all along? If the former, was it in charter? To me, this looks like a maintenance issue, not a manufacturing defect from Beneteau. The bottom (and keel) don't have much paint protection from rust, and at least one of the fiberglass dings is from an impact. The crack looks like a repair gone bad, and you mention poorly repaired caps using rubber glue (not marine caulk). So, I don't think you can blame Beneteau.

I recommend that you have the boat surveyed by a professional, independent boat surveyor. He can tell you more about the actual condition of the boat, probably causes, and approximate costs of repair. Then, either go back to the Beneteau dealer that sold you the boat or get a reputable boat yard to do the work. You don't need to go to Beneteau directly, unless the boat is under 5 years old and the problem is covered by warranty.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have never had a problem with either my selling dealer or Beneteau Customer Service.

Looking at the pictures you provided, I would agree that these seem to be maintenance issues. As for the cracks... It would seem as though the boat hit something hard at on time or another.

Mar 28, 2010
We bought the boat new, made for us. The cracks are in the anchor locker and we have a electric windless so it comes in slow and smooth. The boat has never been aground and we have never hit anything to do that kind of damage we would have known we hit something I would think.
The first time we pulled the boat after two years you could see the while squares where the jackstands were, no paint at all. The boat was on the hill for 43 days in 2009 the second time drying out the keel that had taken on water. Per Beneteau's instructions we dried it out and they resealed it, tightened the bolts to Beneteau's specs. Here we are again 2010 the boat is on the hill drying out the keel.
I wish I had your dealers.
So far a brand new boat 2006 delivered March 8, 2006 a number of electrical problems, cracked water caps, windows that leak, keel that is rusted and pitted and chipped, engine problems, HVAC, gas guage does not work, a number of problems with the sails that were recalled finally due to no sun protection on the leading edge and battons that kept popping out and still pop out. Sails that are showing such wear that we will have to replace them in the next six months.
We were told we were getting boat 165 and ended up with 160 for some strange reason. All this was right after Katrina and I am now wondering if our boat really did come from Marion South Carolina?
I am heart broken over what I thought would be a great investment and fun for the children and grandchildren. I am scared to put children on the boat now.
Thank you for your response I'll keep all posted on the out come.

Last edited:

br111

Feb 23, 2010
Beneteau 343 Lake Texoma
As far as the gelcoat hole, I've experienced them. They are voids in the lay up. I don't consider them to be a big deal. That is a LOT of fiberglass to lay up when you think about it. Mine voids in the cockpit were found under warranty and fixed under warranty. As far as the rest, it sure looks like poor prep when the bottom was painted, including the keel. And, I'm guessing someone didn't caulk the keel/hull joint correctly, or re-torque the keel after a while (I noticed Beneteau once recommended this in 2000 (my first B), but doesn't seem to in the new owners manual (my second B)). Unfortunately, it does sound like you've had more than your fair share of problems, including several that appear on other message boards. They just never ALL seem to show up on the same boat at the same time.

Mar 28, 2010
Yes I thought they did too but I called again last week and the week before and still no returned call. Does anyone feel avoiding a person is right? Do you think if I were a man it would have been done by now or calls returned?
Either they are discriminating against women or they are a poor dealership when it comes to repairing a boat?

Mar 28, 2010
More Photos

Here are more photos of the boat from hell!

These are the bottom of the boat the first time we pulled it. Yep, you are seeing white spots where it was on the jack stands and they painted around them and never went back to paint them.

Like we would not see them at some point. March 2006 the boat was delivered to us the boat was pulled for a bottom job on 8/8/08.

We bought the boat from the dealership in Louisanna and now no help and they send us to Marion SC for the work to be ordered and they do not respond!

Might be time for a discrimination lawsuit?

Attachments

Aug 12, 2009
Beneteau 423 Beverly, MA
Re: More Photos

From the pictures and the long beard on the bottom, it doesn't appear that you're maintaining the boat. I'd have those ducks in order before pointing fingers. I'm not ruling one way or the other but I'd always want to be side of keeping my end of the deal. They'll pick up on that. Plus, with Beneteau being run my woman, it will just make it all the harder.

May 9, 2006
Beneteau 373 Mystic, CT
Beneteau 373 problems:

Panamagirl:

I own 373 #226 which was delivered in April 2007.

I can sympathize with your situation, but my experience is somewhat different. I thought I'd pass on my experiences re the items you mention, and a few other points.

I have found the overall quality of the hull glass work to be as anticipated. I did experience a bit of gel coat cracking at the primarily near the aft corners of the deck and a few gel voids, which were fixed by the dealer. (PS my dealer Sailing specialties in Mystic, Ct has since gone out of business.) In fact Beneteau had a factory rep check out the issues and assured the repairs were correct.

I pull my boat seasonally, and carefully inspect the hull and keel and have not noted the deterioration you document. I have owned boats with cast iron keels before and know the interlux speced system they use at the factory is good. None the less, I have had a few rust spots appear, primarily due to some minor scrapes, sandy bottoms etc. and have properly repaired same with Interlux 2000, including additional coats over the entire keel, and had no rust spots over the past year. No keel bedding issues have been evident at all.

To me it appears your initial prep and bottom finish may not have been up to par. In our environment yearly bottom refinishing is required.

I had warranty issues with the life line turnbuckles and the flanges on the drop down cockpit seats, which were replaced. After repeated problem with the force 10 stove, Beneteau had the entire stove replaced.

I also have the furling mainsail, but have not experienced unusual deterioration or batten problems.

I have not had any significant problems with the factory electrical installations or components. I did have to replace the Autohelm control module and display which were done under warranty be Raymarine.

I found the factory fuel gauge had not been correctly calibrated per VDO's installation instructions, and corrected myself.

My only engine problem has been with the ignition switch, and the problem turned out to be to much lubrication of the internal switch contacts.

I do not have HVAC, but have had to follow up and understand the refrigeration, which works well but which appeared to run excessively. In fact it works well.

As I enter my 4th season, I have had to deal with some Bimini and dodger deterioration, which are non Beneteau issues, and replace my main batteries.

I am also adding a feeder to the pro furl furling as feeding the Genoa is impossible to do alone (Beneteau used the least expensive pro furl unit.) I have also had to add a new car and track as recommended by Charleston Spars to correct a jamming problem with the main sail out-haul. which appears to be a common problem.

I had my prior boat, a Yamaha 33 MKIII, an old IOR racer, for 22 years and did all my work, so maybe my builder expectations were more moderate than yours, but have been generally satisfied with Beneteau. I had found David Markham (david.markham@beneteauusa.com) to be a good support resource. I'd hope they would be more accommodating than they appear to have been.

I am approaching my 60's but am quite comfortable with the capabilities of the boat we have used it in weather up to 50kts and have found it safe and accommodating. It does have substantial weather helm and requires reefing a bit earlier that I'd like, but we've learned to live with that.

I hope you can sort things out.

We bought the boat new, made for us. The cracks are in the anchor locker and we have a electric windless so it comes in slow and smooth. The boat has never been aground and we have never hit anything to do that kind of damage we would have known we hit something I would think.
The first time we pulled the boat after two years you could see the while squares where the jackstands were, no paint at all. The boat was on the hill for 43 days in 2009 the second time drying out the keel that had taken on water. Per Beneteau's instructions we dried it out and they resealed it, tightened the bolts to Beneteau's specs. Here we are again 2010 the boat is on the hill drying out the keel.
I wish I had your dealers.
So far a brand new boat 2006 delivered March 8, 2006 a number of electrical problems, cracked water caps, windows that leak, keel that is rusted and pitted and chipped, engine problems, HVAC, gas guage does not work, a number of problems with the sails that were recalled finally due to no sun protection on the leading edge and battons that kept popping out and still pop out. Sails that are showing such wear that we will have to replace them in the next six months.
We were told we were getting boat 165 and ended up with 160 for some strange reason. All this was right after Katrina and I am now wondering if our boat really did come from Marion South Carolina?
I am heart broken over what I thought would be a great investment and fun for the children and grandchildren. I am scared to put children on the boat now.
Thank you for your response I'll keep all posted on the out come.

Mar 28, 2010
Re: More Photos

My ducks in order? The white spots are what we found when the boat was first pulled. Two years after it was put in the water for the first time. Second, the botton is cleaned every two weeks by a professional. The boat is four years old 4 years old it is cleaned and has been pulled three times in four years. Your telling me a new boat with water in the keel is normal? White spots from where the dealer did not paint the boat where the boat sat on the jack stands is my fault? Are you blind have you not seen the photos. NEW BOAT 4 YEARS OLD what part of this do you not understand?
Get my ducks in a row first. I did that is why I have been calling non stop and emailing them with no response. The paint dealer Interlux has seen the boat, we have done electrolist (sp) on the water, docks and boat and the company said it is right. The boat yard is the one we were told to use by them. I put the most expensive paint on the bottom Micron66. I have my ducks in a row so I am completely at right to make my comments. Do you happen to work for either one?

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
I do have a hard time understanding how a bad bottom paint job translated to poor boat quality or should be considered Beneteau's problem.

I'm just sayin'

Randy

Mar 28, 2010
I do have a hard time understanding how a bad bottom paint job translated to poor boat quality or should be considered Beneteau's problem.

I'm just sayin'

Randy
If yyou read the very first post I ask "anyone having a hard time getting the DEALER or BENETEAU" and with most posters found it looked to be the dealer which was what I was trying to get to who should I try and get help from. However since the dealer would not answer calls and when they did they sent me to Beneteau.

Please do not respond to my post with a negative attitude when I am already upset trying to get my NEW boat fixed.

You must have more money than God and this must seem very trivial to you. I on the other hand expect when I buy a product to not need to deal with problem in the first few years. I do not have the money to keep repairing things I buy.

I assume you have boys because i would hope if you had a daughter you would want them to answer the calls and fix the problem not point fingers at each other saying it is the dealer no it is beneteau, no it is poor paint, or poor paint quality or workmanship.

Someone is at fault and I had hoped to get an answer not rude comment, Sir.
Mister BOB MACK answered me and I was happy to hear his reply so please next time try helping not commenting.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You need to get constructively proactive. Find a respected Marine Surveyor and pay him/her to assess the condition of your boat and document the situation. Seek counsel in selecting your Surveyor. Survey your boat and use that expert to inform your actions moving forward. You don't have the credentials. Stay calm and focused or hand off the job to someone else who can.

Mar 28, 2010
Gunni
I thank you for the advice and will heed it. My first stop tomorrow is to find a good Surveyor and keep calm. THANKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.