Polypropylene for anchor rode ??????

Dec 20, 2009
allied seabreeze san diego ( mission bay)
Polyester for anchor rode ??????

The "User Guide" which was packed with my New ROCNA 20 anchor recommend use of polyester rope as an anchor rode .
Any suggestion as to why such a reputable anchor manufacturer would not recommend nylon ?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Assuming you are talking about after the G40, are you sure it did not say Polyester?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
The "User Guide" which was packed with my New ROCNA 20 anchor recommend use of polypropylene rope as an anchor rode .
Any suggestion as to why such a reputable anchor manufacturer would not recommend nylon ?
Polypropylene floats and will quickly deteriorate in UV.
Not to mention very weak for diameter.
Not good traits for anchor rode.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The "User Guide" which was packed with my New ROCNA 20 anchor recommend use of polypropylene rope as an anchor rode .
I know Peter Smith, the inventor of the Rocna, has recommended polyester in certain situations. Polyester is not the same as polypropylene...

Peter Smith
"For larger boats, or for very long lengths of rope, we recommended polyester over and above nylon, as it (at least partly) addresses many of the disadvantages of nylon."

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Wonder what he means by "very long". The good thing about nylon is it stretches and absorbs shock lessing the chance of the anchor breaking loose. Polyester does not stretch much so all the hardware will take more of a beating.

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Hence, the recommendation for "very long lengths" LOgically, polyester will stretch
nominally to what? 2% +/- , therefore, 200 ft. of polyE rode would give 4Ft. Plenny for long-line. anchoring.. Nylon might/will give waaaaay too much at that. length . Could lead to interesting anchorage twists and possibly a rubber band effect, sling-shotting ya all. over :)

just my $.02