Poll: How do you pronounce it? (Clevis)

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Capital L, small a, capital F, small o, small n, small g.
LaFong. Carl LaFong!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Pronounce it like you are starting to say "Cleavage." Except end with "is" not "age. " I don't know if that's long or short. Those terms never made any sense to me. "Course I grew up on LI and you know we pronounce everything correctly.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Pronounce it like you are starting to say "Cleavage." Except end with "is" not "age. " I don't know if that's long or short. Those terms never made any sense to me. "Course I grew up on LI and you know we pronounce everything correctly.
Stainless steel cleavage? You mean like Madonna, or was that brass cleavage? Oh, wait... What were we talking about again?

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I say short "e", as in:
"The levitating devil never ever said the clevis revolution would last forever."
I DO know (and generally follow) the rule about vowel-single-consonant-vowel making the first vowel use the "long" pronunciation... but... there does also seem to be a pattern of "e+v+vowel" often using the short vowel sound (not always though, as in examples like Nevis, evil, etc.)...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with you @ToddS It is a quirk of the English language. What makes English complicated to learn.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Examples:
dining/dinning
diner/dinner
riding/ridding
siting/sitting
raping/rapping
taping/tapping
coping/copping
toping/topping
assuming/summing
ludicrous/Luddite
Tomato/tomahto

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
How to you teach an English As Second Language student how to say "Good Food?"

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
there does also seem to be a pattern of "e+v+vowel" often using the short vowel sound
Come now. Put it through the laboratory to see if that idiom holds then visit the lavatory to wash your hands of it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
When do we discuss how to pronounce Genoa?

This really sounds like a mid-winter thread. Don’t you folks ever go sailing?